www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Drumming up reads

Go down 
+6
Thingywhatsit
Ciao's Favourite Member
atticusuk
Stunt_101
liz1102
koshkha
10 posters
AuthorMessage
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 10:56

This morning I found I'd received a comment that was nothing to do with my review but was a blatant request that I go and read the writer's latest review.

Is this actually allowed?

Why should my comments box be hijacked as an advertising platform for someone else's review (not that I actually believe most people - i.e. other than Aaron - actually read the comments)?

I had a quick scan around and saw that others have also been spammed in this way.

Does this sort of thing annoy other RWF members or am I just a grouchy monday-morning grump?
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 11:23

I also got a comment like that yesterday, messaged the person and they apologised. I then mentally kicked myself as I'd actually already read the review mentioned but wouldn't have if I'd read the comment first!
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 11:42

I too have had somthing like that
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 13:34

Yep I saw my miles drop accordingly.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 13:41

Mine have dropped a lot due to the sad and not entirely unexpected demise of one of my favourite controversial writers.

Shame!

No idea what he did this time but I'll miss him.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 13:44

Being on the site was probably bad enough.

I shall say no more lest TPTB get frustrated and write wrist slapping messages IN CAPITALS all over my lovely, lovely posts.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 14:01

Quote :
I shall say no more lest TPTB get frustrated and write wrist slapping messages IN CAPITALS all over my lovely, lovely posts.

not sure who the TPTB is but no wrist slapping. There are two members that I know of that were deleted today though going into specifics doesn't serve any purpose. Its the first time I ever noticed my miles going down too !
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
atticusuk

atticusuk

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 20:37

koshkha wrote:
Mine have dropped a lot due to the sad and not entirely unexpected demise of one of my favourite controversial writers.

Shame!

Just like Arnie he will be back.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 21:38

atticusuk wrote:
koshkha wrote:

Shame!

Just like Arnie he will be back.

ditto to that
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 21:55

I'm not sure that he will be. If he is, I doubt he'll be back too long. I'm under the impression that he's actually had his final chance with Dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyMon 22 Jan 2007, 22:11

Lets hope both of them have.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyWed 24 Jan 2007, 20:16

I've been asked on both sites before If I'd check out someones reviews. I've politely told them that it's against the rules to ask for reads/rates, and nobody has got funny about it yet. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Ciao's Favourite Member

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyWed 24 Jan 2007, 20:20

People that claim that they will read you back if you rate/comment their work should be shot or hung by the tits.

I know of a few members like that.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyWed 24 Jan 2007, 20:22

......and there was me thinking you were nice,lol. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyWed 24 Jan 2007, 20:25

Quote :
People that claim that they will read you back if you rate/comment their work should be shot or hung by the tits.

Now that really is a sexist remark if ever I saw one unless male members have male BAD WORDS.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyWed 24 Jan 2007, 21:17

Of course men have tits - have you see 'The Last King of Scotland'? James McAvoy LITERALLY get's strung up by his - on meat hooks.
Back to top Go down
Statment

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyThu 25 Jan 2007, 12:58

We know how members drum up reads and thats how the site functions. But it seems dooyoo are goig away from that and just using churn to make the place look busy,so not to have to pay as many rewards. It just looks ugly and cheap like ciao these days.The thing is doyoo are making good money, the rewards a small speck of their projected profit margin.
Back to top Go down
curious_tan

curious_tan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-07-24

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 03:05

I sent a personal message to the writer when the ops was posted on that very moment. I can still remember, I was the first member to rate that review. The writer has a good intention to tell everyone about he/she found out beneficial to members, but he/she did it in a wrong way.

Having this case, is it alright or accepted for the writer to send the message directly to the members concern instead of having posted in the comments box? Does it will be treated the same as what happen to this case that the writer is banned for doing this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.trivago.co.uk/member.php?&member=11883
atticusuk

atticusuk

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 11:32

Must admit I advised them to use the private message facility rather than the comments of other reviews as I did not see anything wrong in doing that, if someone does not like it then they can always block the member.

Personally I would just ignore such requests unless it was someone I felt was genuinly asking for feedback on the review or it was something they know I would be interested in such as a review on diving or related to that.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 13:02

I was under the imporession that "touting for reads" was less of a crime on Dooyoo than on Ciao... unless the change of community manager last year brough in new rules?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 14:21

I wrote to dooyoo concerning this many moons ago and they indeed stated that they did not see it as a problem, figuring I guess that we are all adult enough to say No, or to ignore comments like that unless we have a particular interest in the subject matter and a writer was just drawing our attention to it.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 14:32

So it's only a crime if it's reported?

Sounds like Ciao to me...
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 15:12

But who would report something like that ? If I saw it consistently on the site, I may message someone and say "hey lay off asking for reads" but since it isn't a rule, I can't see a problem. It is a stated rule on ciao although not on dooyoo to my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 15:17

Well, let's see...

Who has a history of making obtuse interpretations of a site's T&Cs before reporting them directly to the powers that be?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads EmptyFri 26 Jan 2007, 17:42

I have just received an email in response to this thread in which dooyoo state that action is only taken when there are extenuating circumstances, i.e. comments by their hundreds asking for reads. Dooyoo state that they will remove comments if requested to do so, if these are on an ongoing basis, although do have a certain amount of tolerance. I hope that this clarifies the situation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drumming up reads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drumming up reads   Drumming up reads Empty

Back to top Go down

Drumming up reads
Page 1 of 1