www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reads Down

Go down 
+11
WendyBull
lisa2062
The Polar One
berlioz
belfin
clownfoot
atticusuk
plipplop
dididave
koshkha
kenjohn
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kenjohn

kenjohn

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 15:25

Well, it would appear that the "new regime" of quantity over quality is now really starting to kick in and affect the number of member reads as people come to the realisation that it's way more profitable to spend their time writing new short reviews (at 50p a pop) than to be bothered reading and rating other members' reviews in the hope of a return read.

My own reads per review are way down in comparison to when the old payment system was in force, despite the fact I haven't decreased my own reading and rating. (In fact, probably the opposite)

A sign of things to come. (Not good things though, IMHO)
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 19:09

Yes, but didn't you admit elsewhere that you are writing a lot more reviews? So are your total reads down relative to when you were writing less?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 19:16

Mine are up which is weird as I seem to be the only one who is!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
kenjohn

kenjohn

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 19:41

dididave wrote:
Mine are up which is weird as I seem to be the only one who is!

My reads were initially a wee bit higher at the start up of the new system, but are lower now. Mind you, I'm posting far more reviews, so that obviously has a bearing as well.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 19:44

koshkha wrote:
Yes, but didn't you admit elsewhere that you are writing a lot more reviews? So are your total reads down relative to when you were writing less?

Oh no, by no means. I've earned an absolute fortune in Amazon vouchers since the new system was introduced, and my total number of reads is obviously a lot higher as I posted more new reviews in January than in the whole of 2007!

But my point of "quantity over quality" being the new dooyoo byword still stands.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:08

kenjohn wrote:
koshkha wrote:

Oh no, by no means. I've earned an absolute fortune in Amazon vouchers since the new system was introduced, and my total number of reads is obviously a lot higher as I posted more new reviews in January than in the whole of 2007!

But my point of "quantity over quality" being the new dooyoo byword still stands.

So it would seem, but there have been some hints made that quality is going to be looked at so we will have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:29

My reviews have stayed the same (about three a week) and my reads are up about 20% - consistently.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:36

plipplop wrote:
My reviews have stayed the same (about three a week) and my reads are up about 20% - consistently.

That's because you're a good, high profile writer Phil, as well as being a Guide, and as you say post relatively few reviews. I could most likely maintain my old read rate as well, although, to be honest, I'm having too much fun posting my numerous "dumbed down and simplified" reviews to be ars*d.
At my current rate of posting I should have every box set I've ever fancied from Amazon within the year! That is if dooyoo don't change the current payment system or go bust first.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:42

kenjohn wrote:
plipplop wrote:

That's because you're a good, high profile writer Phil, as well as being a Guide, and as you say post relatively few reviews. I could most likely maintain my old read rate as well, although, to be honest, I'm having too much fun posting my numerous "dumbed down and simplified" reviews to be ars*d.

Why, thank you! Smile

The point is, though, if you stay doing what you always did, your reads are the same or higher - so it's not strictly true to say "reads are down"?
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:47

plipplop wrote:

Why, thank you! Smile

The point is, though, if you stay doing what you always did, your reads are the same or higher - so it's not strictly true to say "reads are down"?

You're welcome Smile

Not so sure Phil. I think it would probably take a lot more reading and rating (at least for me) to maintain my old read rate per review even if I was to revert to only posting the occasional review as in the past.

Last edited by kenjohn on Tue 19 Feb 2008, 21:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 01:53

Reads are the same or marginally up for me, then again I struggle to post one review a week most of the time, last one got 70 odd reads but then it was a bit of Dooyoo naval gazing and they always get more reads.
Back to top Go down
clownfoot

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 15:42

Reads are up or the same. I think this is actually due to the infrequency with which a new review is posted though. Just a thought - could Ken's issue with lower reads be due to frequent poster apathy on behalf of other members? For instance, when faced with a barrage of new reviews by a writer in a few days, are members more likely to read the one new review from said writer (the one that appeals most), rather than all of them? I think this is a likely cause and is reflected in the lower reads being received by some and not by others...
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 19:47

I certainly wouldn't read more than on on a list of five from the same writer unless the topics looked amazingly interesting.
Back to top Go down
belfin

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-02-11

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 20:55

I've started trying to only read one review a day from each person unless it's someone that I know writes good reviews, is writing about something that interests me and reads and rates around the site on a regular basis. I'm starting to check the amounts of reviews people have read before reading more of their work these days.

My ratings are around the same despite a wee bit more posting this month over here due to me having some extra time on my hands, but of course that means I'm still down on what I used to get.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 21:47

Well, my reads seem to be pretty much the same, if slightly lower, but I've been slightly more productive lately so that would probably account for it. Plus I've gotten really lazy with reads, so that's another reason, though I compensate with not posting reviews more often than I do. Add to that I probably should write the reviews too at some point... and I should get cracking with that unfinished fanfiction that's been sitting idle for a few weeks now. The computer can be such a slavedriver at times.
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 21:34

I'm finding my reads haven't really changed, but neither has the amount I post. At most I do on average 1 review per week (ignoring sabbaticals).

Unfortunately due to the number of reads, this means a net loss in money. And I haven't the desire or time to increase my output, and I wouldn't want quality to suffer from pushing myself.

If this new influx of members ever gets my reads high enough to match my old earnings it'd be nice. Not happened yet though. Good job I write more for fun than the reward, but it's still a shame.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 22:05

Same as above, I haven't noticed much of a drop in reads/rates. I'm still posting as and when like before, but I am noticing more newbies signing up than ever before and just churning away. When will they ever understand that if they want reads, then they must read some reviews themselves. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 02:04

lisa2062 wrote:
Same as above, I haven't noticed much of a drop in reads/rates. I'm still posting as and when like before, but I am noticing more newbies signing up than ever before and just churning away. When will they ever understand that if they want reads, then they must read some reviews themselves. Lisa x

Yeah but you do not need reads if you get 500 miles for writing a few lines.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 12:19

I'm almost jealous of churners and the lack of guilt they feel for not reading around - they must be earning a fortune!
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 14:58

I don't understand why people don't read what they want to read.

As the total number of reviews is up, and payments are up, then I would have to stagger a guess that reads are UP not down. Reads per review might be down for some, but then so what?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 16:30

I do read what I want to read but some churners just post loads and never really read anybody else at all. They get 50p per review with no real effort back into teh site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 17:52

helencbradshaw wrote:
I don't understand why people don't read what they want to read.

As the total number of reviews is up, and payments are up, then I would have to stagger a guess that reads are UP not down. Reads per review might be down for some, but then so what?
Sorry, but that isn't the only logical conclusion. I'm also not sure what point you want to make?

The new system has been designed to get more content, members, and activity on the site. The magic number is 33 or approx £1. Any reads over 33 on a review earns less miles under the new system.

Total number of reviews are up. Payments only go up if you increase your overall reads, but anything over 33 per review earns less than it used to. More members may mean total reads are up, but spread out over more reviews. So members need to read more than they used to, to get other people's payments up.

Personally I prefer to have more people read something I've written, so I won't change my output to chase miles. It's fingers crossed that those new members all flock to my reviews, but with the added competition it's not happened yet.

I'm not bitter though - Dooyoo still beats all the other sites. I'm just gonna have to improve my writing, and choose popular topics.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 21:08

My own personal reads are down, probably about 25% per review.

While money isn't a primary factor for me, I am disheartened by the fact that reads have gone down despite the fact that there are tonne of new members around the site.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 22:12

I think we're all yet to be convinced that dooyoo still want to reward quality as well as quanitity. One of Jared's postings said that quality will be rewarded in phase 2 (if I remember correctly) but I'm wondering how long it will take.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 22:19

We did remind him about that and he (re)assured us that it was still planned, but didn't give any ideas of how this might be achieved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reads Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reads Down   Reads Down Empty

Back to top Go down

Reads Down
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next