www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ASKING FOR READS.

Go down 
+16
Ailran
koshkha
Tom_Clare
mr.blue.sky
Zoobremia
berlioz
missy0303
atticusuk
Lunah_c
Mum52
psychstudent
sandemp
salem_witch
Kappaslappa
dididave
Thingywhatsit
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:13

How do people deal with members asking for reads ? Do you politely ignore it, read the review, but say that asking for reads is not a polite thing to do on a review site, or read it and move on, or what ? If it's a new person I think there is an element of "ignorance" and I would read their review, although not feel obligated to, then explaining to them in guestbook that it is frowned upon to ask for reads.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:22

Ignore it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:23

But if you ignore it and a million others don't, they carry on believing it's okay to do it. Would it not be better to get it right, right from the start by politely advising ?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:25

If a million others don't more fool them, I have better things to do than telling people how to behave.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Kappaslappa

Kappaslappa

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2006-03-07

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 14:09

Ignore them, but whilst we are on the subject, if you do have a spare 5 minutes during your busy day, then please go and read all of my reviews... Razz
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 14:21

Quote :
if you do have a spare 5 minutes during your busy day, then please go and read all of my reviews

Hehe !! you big badger woman. I didn't think that badgers were animals of prey.
Back to top Go down
salem_witch

salem_witch

Number of posts : 10

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 14:53

I usually ignore it. I was asked today to read a review which I had already read!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:08

Quote :
I usually ignore it. I was asked today to read a review which I had already read!

I have had that happen to me as well on many occasions, people too busy asking for reads to notice who had read them.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-02-28

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:20

Ignore them all the way, I may read the review if it's a subject that interests me but if I've been asked to read it there's a very good chance I won't. I hate, hate, hate being asked for reads.
Back to top Go down
psychstudent

psychstudent

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-03-08

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:26

I ignore them too. I'll decide what I want to read and when I want to read it!
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 18:06

Admin wrote:
How do people deal with members asking for reads ?
How do you mean? A direct message in your guestbook or a message in an "about me"?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 18:41

In their about me, its easy. Its against the rules. No, in my guestbook.
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 18:48

If it was somebody asking for an honest opinion of a review and how it could be improved, something like that, I'd read it, but nobody would ask me so it doesn't happen.

Touting for reads, wherever it is, I'd ignore them and would probably be reluctant to read them again, if I remembered who it was!
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 21:44

Just after I started I asked some people to re read and hopefully rate a review I had re written. Most ignored me but one very nice member told me that it was not the done thing and so I never did it again. But I still see people putting comments like 'tell me if change the review and I will re rate', and to me this confuses new memebrs and is why I thought it was OK to inform people that I wanted a re rate and read.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 21:45

Hope you understand the above my son kept annoying me at the same time.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 22:02

Occasionally I will leave a message especially to a new member asking them to let me know if they have edited a review which I gave a low rating to as this is part of the learning process for them.

Otherwise requests are always ignored as is the implied request in some comments left on my own reviews.

However I would like to say that I do return all reads in duplicate. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
missy0303

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-02

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 22:54

I had someone quite recently ask me to read their reviews and I politely told them that ciao frowned upon asking for reads, and that I would maybe get around to reading their reviews when I could.

When I did eventually read one of this persons reviews I wasn't overly impressed and rated it as SH , and the next as H.....they then had the cheek to ask why I had rated it as such and would I pop over and re-read!

Now I don't mind re-reading reviews if they have genuinely been edited for the better....but as far as I could see there was very little change if any at all.....
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 23:13

Then the original rate should stand.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 12:22

Anybody asking rates from me would make me furious (that is if the member was totally unknown to me). I often have a huge urge to go to their guestbook and give a piece of my mind, but I am a restrained fellow and just ignore any such requests.
Back to top Go down
Zoobremia

Zoobremia

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-03-09

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 22:42

Well, I normally ignore them or tell them, that's not correct ...

If there's a real nice entry or they tell me something like "I read Your comment on XYZ, well, I've written on this" I give this one a try and tell them the rest, too ...

lol!
Back to top Go down
mr.blue.sky

mr.blue.sky

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2006-05-12

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyMon 02 Jul 2007, 00:54

I sometimes get asked to re-read and rate them (they hope) with a better score, but always feel like I'm being milked for better ratings. but will always have a look again to see if they've improved on their first attempt, If they've done much better and not copied anyone else's then I don't mind giving a better score .. Normally though, time and experience is the only tool to justify a writer's improved skill (like all things in life!) so they should be ignored...more often though it's from people in my buddy list asking for reads and rates (cos I'm their buddy ?) But, as I'm just too bleedin lazy at heart I often cant be arsed to read their ramblings, plus I'm often legless by this time of night and cant be arsed with anyones moaning and lusting for better points or coloured dots hehehehe !! Sorry, I'm prolly barking up the wrong tree again! .... but I'm happy... And hate most of the public at large, most of the time... (friends are exempt!) so send us a message tomorrow to delete this, then all will be normal again, Mr.blue. sky sober= Mr.boring! ... Mr.blue.sky pizzed... see above! ...anyone know a good doctor?
drunken Very Happy My lesser sober self is nagging at me not to press the send button.... but... I cant help it.... send !!
Back to top Go down
Tom_Clare

Tom_Clare

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2006-05-21

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyTue 03 Jul 2007, 15:38

Usually I ignore them. It annoys me most when people ask for reads and don't bother looking at your work - as if we don't need reads ourselves and exist only to whittle away the hours advising others. Grr. WinkSmile
Back to top Go down
http://uk.geocities.com/tom1clare
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 04 Jul 2007, 11:05

I get particularly annoyed by requests to RE-READ from people who haven't bothered to read any of my stuff. Why should I read one of their crappy reviews TWICE if they don't bother to read other people?

Fair enough if someone knows you quite well, fair enough if you put 'send me a message if you improve this' (which I don't). But people shouldn't expect that I'm sitting here with nothing better to do than re-read.

(grumpy or what?)
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyWed 04 Jul 2007, 12:32

Grumpy? Not at all. I've started to message people back who do that saying why should I spend time going back and rereading one of yours when you cant be bothered to read one of mine, or anyones elses for that matter (as they more often than not dont read anyones at all!)
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. EmptyThu 05 Jul 2007, 10:34

I just tell them to drop dead. Simple and effective.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ASKING FOR READS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ASKING FOR READS.   ASKING FOR READS. Empty

Back to top Go down

ASKING FOR READS.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next