www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review

Go down 
+8
berlioz
Ailran
Ciao's Favourite Member
marandina
atticusuk
Mauri
jo145
Thingywhatsit
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review Empty
PostSubject: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 10:47

This is in order to try and help new members. Please let's be serious this time.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
jo145

jo145

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 17:03

I 'm not sure at all now. I have noticed some reviews being crowned after a day or two. Perhaps they have been recommended by a certain number of people, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 19:16

jo145 wrote:
I 'm not sure at all now. I have noticed some reviews being crowned after a day or two. Perhaps they have been recommended by a certain number of people, I'm not sure.

The timings of the crowns have little to do with it.

Crowns are awarded on a Monday so reviews that are written on a Sunday or Monday could be crowned within 24 hours while those that are written on a Monday evening or Tuesday might have to wait a week...
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 20:18

I would like to say concise and to the point but I'm not convinced that such qualities would be rewarded all of the time.
Back to top Go down
marandina

marandina

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 22:51

marandina wrote:
How about folks trying the reviews at http://members.dooyoo.co.uk/internet-sites/dooyoo-crowns/?
Back to top Go down
http://www.casheroonie.com
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 02:34

It depends on the category. There are plenty of "how to write..." reviews on Dooyoo for new members to find, read and use.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 13:05

I dont think there is a certain way of getting a crown, though some people who get them all the time would be the best people to ask Smile

For me it all depends on what I get out of it at the time i read it, like me an E's over the road a crown isnt given very often Smile
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 13:12

A good review makes a crown worthy review. What good is depends on the reader. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 21:17

Ailran wrote:

For me it all depends on what I get out of it at the time i read it, like me an E's over the road a crown isnt given very often Smile

I know, I'm the proud owner of one of your Es lol! Some might just call you stingy cherry
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 00:26

susie19 wrote:
Ailran wrote:

I know, I'm the proud owner of one of your Es lol! Some might just call you stingy cherry

Are you? I'm sure that must have been a mistake lol!

Of course I'm stingy... not much can ever be considered Exceptional in my mind!
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 00:36

Ailran wrote:

Perhaps the accompanying pics pushed you over the edge cat
Back to top Go down
Jared

Jared

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Jared writes an essay on crowns.   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 12:13

Alright. I was intentionally not taking part in this thread for a couple of reasons, mostly because I know a few of you are crown-monkeys that get them all the time (Crown-Monkeys is a term I picked up when I read a review of dooyoo on another site...it amuses me far too much). Here's the breakdown. (And again, I hope you guys don't mind me inserting myself into the forum. Seriously, give me a beat down if it becomes a problem.)

Good reviews get crowns. How I determine what a good review is varies. Crowns are indeed done on Mondays...and sometimes on Tuesdays if something horrible happened to dooyoo over the weekend (cough cough). If an opinion gets crowned at another time it means that I read it and HAD to give it a crown right away.
Besides that, nominations play a big part. There's no required number of nominations, but if something's nominated at least once it means I take a look at it and see if it's up to snuff, as it were. Guide Nominations go to the top of the list, because it's assumed these people know what meets our standards (you know, what's "good"). That said, guide nominations aren't everything, because I look at EVERYTHING that's nominated (or try to). They help us speed up the process and I trust their opinion. I mean, that's why they're guides, right?

So the obvious question here is "What deserves a crown?". There's no easy answer. If the review is complete and well-written, it deserves a crown. If the review is hilarious but only moderately useful, it still might get crowned because we can appreciate a good writing style. Long reviews don't guarantee a crown, but short reviews do have a harder time earning them. It really depends on the item being reviewed and how useful the review is. A few short reviews have been crowned, but I can count the number of crowned reviews under 300 words on my fingers. So size does matter (please don't quote that out of context).
I could ramble on forever about what does and does not get crowns, but ultimately it just comes down to what impresses us and the users. If it impresses a lot of people but just comes across as average to us, we'll usually crown it, because dooyoo is nothing if not community-based. (This doesn't happen often, as the community knows good reviews when it sees them.)
Looking back at what I've written, I think ultimately I'm just saying that good reviews get crowns...and the system is not automated, mostly because I'm not a robot. The hard part is a good review getting our (my) attention, which is what nominations do in spades.
-jared

PS: While this info will be going out with the new dooyoo Mag in the next few days (Monday at the latest), I figure this is a good place to give kudos to Salem_Witch. She got the review of the Month with here Cadbury World opinion. Sure, it was a good opinion, but it got the most nominations in dooyoo history. Most reviews only get about 5-10 nominations, because not many folks think to do it. This opinion? It ended up getting 70+ nominations. Which is crazy. But cool.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk
Jared

Jared

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 12:14

Dang it. Next time I post an essay on the forum, someone stop me.
-jared
"who double posts like a newbie"
Back to top Go down
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 17:19

Few Jared, I need to get a drink now (joke). I tend to nominate any review that clearly explains the usage and opinion of a product, whilst being an interesting read at the same time. In the pass I've read reviews that answer my questions about a product and are clear to understand, but go on far too long when I fell it isn't necessary. I also look out for spelling and grammar (says me who forever spell the word definitely, defiantly). Whilst the odd mistake is nothing terrible, if it's to the point where every other word is wrong, then it makes the review hard to read. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyThu 08 Mar 2007, 21:52

Well if i was reading a videogame review i'd nominate it if it was clear to read, has all the info (graphics, gameplay, replay value etc.) and wen't into depth (so not just a sentance saying about the graphics) about it and has plenty of opinion. That's what i think makes a crownworthy videogames review.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 12:35

susie19 wrote:
Ailran wrote:

Perhaps the accompanying pics pushed you over the edge cat

Well yes, but what does that have to do with giving an 'E'?
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 13:22

Ailran wrote:

Well yes, but what does that have to do with giving an 'E'?

Perhaps you pressed the wrong button in a fluster. lol!
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 13:28

Jared wrote:
If an opinion gets crowned at another time it means that I read it and HAD to give it a crown right away.

Your post was very insightful Jared thanks. I set my sight on getting one of those impromptu, absolutely got to give it one, crowns now. lol!
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 13:50

susie19 wrote:
Perhaps you pressed the wrong button in a fluster. lol!

Or maybe Ciao just disagreed with him and changed the rating as they did for a SH rate I once left to one review, upgrading it to E!
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 14:35

berlioz wrote:

Or maybe Ciao just disagreed with him and changed the rating as they did for a SH rate I once left to one review, upgrading it to E!

Are you sure it was Ciao? Maybe that person came to their senses. Cool
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 14:55

I'm sure. I thought it was a fairly bad review and rated it accordingly. I chanced to look at the review some time later and my rate had changed into E. I couldn't have even made a mistake when rating as SH and E are not even on the same row with each other, making an error press totally impossible. But that's just the fun of Ciao I guess; you'll never know what to expect next. Rolling Eyes

(Sorry for being so off topic here Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 15:01

Sorry, I misread I thought they had left you a SH and come back to rerate!! How very bizarre.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review EmptyFri 09 Mar 2007, 15:09

berlioz wrote:
I'm sure. I thought it was a fairly bad review and rated it accordingly. I chanced to look at the review some time later and my rate had changed into E. I couldn't have even made a mistake when rating as SH and E are not even on the same row with each other, making an error press totally impossible. But that's just the fun of Ciao I guess; you'll never know what to expect next. Rolling Eyes

(Sorry for being so off topic here Embarassed )

Hah! Continuing the off-topic vein, something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. And SU rating I'd left just disappeared and someone else's H magically upgraded itself to a VH. I re-reated of course, but it still got a diamond, sadly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review   Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review Empty

Back to top Go down

Seriously now, what makes a crownworthy review
Page 1 of 1