www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Review Lengths

Go down 
+9
helencbradshaw
Jill Murphy
krazykat2005
Deru
steerpyke
WendyBull
Angus
Thingywhatsit
butters
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you tend to read the longer reviews or just press back and ignore them
Depends on writer
Review Lengths Vote_lcap5%Review Lengths Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Depends on category
Review Lengths Vote_lcap20%Review Lengths Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
I press back
Review Lengths Vote_lcap0%Review Lengths Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I read them
Review Lengths Vote_lcap20%Review Lengths Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Depends on mood
Review Lengths Vote_lcap55%Review Lengths Vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:10

Well, on Microsoft Word (the font size is basically normal), where i write my reviews i tend to do a lot. Sometimes though, when saying about one thing, it doesnt tend to be paragraphs but they tend to be between 5-6 pages long.
What is the optimum length for a typical review, or in my case a game review.
I wouldnt mind knowing to improve. In a games review as well, should you describe all weapons etc.

Last edited by on Sat 20 May 2006, 02:00; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:16

I do not think listing everything helps, but a general overview is better from my point of view.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:20

sirg0508 wrote:
You're not allowed to ask for reads and can't believe you are asking. - Have edited your post.

If you want to know what people look for in a Games review I know that Stuleg just wrote a review giving guidence on the subject so why not have a read at that.

D Smile

I wasnt asking for reads by the way, just info. I also edited and sorry for misleading you. I did also read Stulegs review by the way.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:24

Butters, I think I would be more inclined to buy a game if I knew what the gameplay was like rather than nitpicking little things like weapons, although special functions of them would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:47

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Butters, I think I would be more inclined to buy a game if I knew what the gameplay was like rather than nitpicking little things like weapons, although special functions of them would be interesting.

Yeah, thanks for the information, I definitely thought that ifor my a few reviews but weapons play a big part in the games so i am confused. I'll do another one next time and i wont do so much so thanks

[Edit by admin: please don't mention specfic reviews or could be seen as looking for reads]
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:55

butters, remember that you are writing for one of two people.

either the buyer/consumer so keep it clear, concise and personal.
yourself, then write essay styl;e reviews if it turns you on, but don't be suprised when you get low rates from people with less than a day to read them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 17:57

Angus wrote:

yourself, then write essay styl;e reviews if it turns you on, but don't be suprised when you get low rates from people with less than a day to read them.

I think that's good advice Butters, but remember you just started getting crowns, so your current format has to be hitting the right buttons somewhere. xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 18:59

WendyBull wrote:
Angus wrote:

I think that's good advice Butters, but remember you just started getting crowns, so your current format has to be hitting the right buttons somewhere. xx

I done this before the two lower ratings so i am not complaining and understand why some people rate me lower and i will in turn rate them fairly as theyhave jusy said their own opinion. I will probably do them a bit shorter but you are right wendy and that is why i set up the post. I've just started with crowns so am reluctant to change. However, wanted crowns more and more i can see me posting even longer reviews and i know mine are too long anyway
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 20:30

butters wrote:
However, wanted crowns more and more i can see me posting even longer reviews and i know mine are too long anyway

So you think ratings are given on quantity of word count not on the way they are used then.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 01:41

[/quote]So you think ratings are given on quantity of word count not on the way they are used then.[/quote]

not at all, it's just i stuck to my routine to try to get more crowns and it worked again so i can see myself putting more detail in thatn is necessary even though it's not- which will put my qulity down which is why i'm trying not to do so. Thats what i seem to be doing though-until i got a crown each review i did went into more and more detail. Now i will try to stop it but it might be hard. I have read and nominated some brilliant reviews which have crowns now which are not that long. also, i have done some huge reviews that i feared were too long that havent't been crowned probably because of this
Back to top Go down
Deru

Deru

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 09:41

steerpyke wrote:
butters wrote:
However, wanted crowns more and more i can see me posting even longer reviews and i know mine are too long anyway

So you think ratings are given on quantity of word count not on the way they are used then.

I personally think that many people do! I can write a relatively short review and some people rate U/H even if the majority is VH. Many of them aren't even able to justify the rating when asked. Write a long one and there are the odd few who say it's too long but ratings/rewards/comments seem to show that people think the review is exceptional, even if my opinion of it is not that great sometimes.

Especially with comments like "You've covered everything", which is followed by a crown nomination in the comment or E rating on Ciao.

On the other hand, some of my long reviews have been crowned but that may be because they were actually useful to those who have time to read. The content can be thorough and well written.

Depends on the reader really, if someone is 'seriously' considering a product/service and it's not something you would need to choose carefully, then I wouldn't be surprised if they'd take extra time to read an extra long review.

Last edited by on Sat 20 May 2006, 09:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dels-ebooks.co.uk
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 09:49

I believe that long reviews are crowned ratrher than the reader take the time to read them.

I think there should be an upper word limit to make the reviews more clear and concise with the exception of motor reviews.

BTW, we know long reviews get crowned regardless of accuracy but that is another story.
Back to top Go down
Deru

Deru

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 09:58

Okay.

I'm sure there is a word limit on both Ciao and Dooyoo.

Dooyoo limit is lower than Ciao's. I used to go a bit overboard and managed to go over on one review which I cross posted. You probably mean a lower limit though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dels-ebooks.co.uk
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 11:09

1000 words is more then enough.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:04

Angus wrote:

I think maybe 1800-2000 because i think they are at a decent length really and i do think it should be done on dooyoo actually so people [like me] don't blab on. 1000 can't always describe everything but i reckon i could maybeget mine down to 2000.

Last edited by on Sat 20 May 2006, 13:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:18

butters wrote:
Angus wrote:

I think maybe 2800-2000 because i think they are at a decent length really and i do think it should be done on dooyoo actually so people [like me] don't blab on. 1000 can't always describe everything but i reckon i could maybeget mine down to 2000.

You are reviewing a product not writing a short story.

Stop thinking about what you want so much as what the consumer is looking for and how many people read 2800 reviews about a packet of crisps before buying a packet?

try to think that the consumer knows he likes beef crisps and just wants to know if they taste like real beef or bovril.

Again, this is the disease which we have brought upon ourselves by demanding every little detail in a review rathet than just accurate and honest info.
Back to top Go down
krazykat2005

krazykat2005

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2006-04-24

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:25

Quote :

I think that is very limited depending on the type of review you are writing. I average about 1500 words even on my food reviews, and I don't think I add in too much detail. More recently I have posted a few near 4000 word reviews but I think that the length was justified. If there was a 1000 word limit I wouldn't have half the reviews up that I have written.

As long as a review contains relevant information, is helpful and is entertaining to read, who cares how long or short it is. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:34

krazykat2005 wrote:
as long as a review contains relevant information, is helpful and is entertaining to read, who cares how long or short it is. Neutral

See, that is the point "Who cares?"

I do and probably joe Bloggs does, but because you (And I use you as in Dooyooer or Ciaoer) say that it has to be long to be good, then people fill their reviews with crap instead of review.

Who needs to know you were washing your dishes when you thought, "I know, I will go to the pictures tonight and watch *****!" relevance? none.

Give me any of your 2000 plus word reviews and I bet I can edit it to less than 1000 and make it just as useful as it is now and that goes for anyone really.
Back to top Go down
krazykat2005

krazykat2005

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:37

Quote :
Give me any of your 2000 plus word reviews and I bet I can edit it to less than 1000 and make it just as useful as it is now and that goes for anyone really.

But then you'll take out my funny jokes and references to the worm in Labyrinth. Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:44

Angus wrote:
krazykat2005 wrote:
as long as a review contains relevant information, is helpful and is entertaining to read, who cares how long or short it is. Neutral

See, that is the point "Who cares?"

...but because you (And I use you as in Dooyooer or Ciaoer) say that it has to be long to be good, then people fill their reviews with crap instead of review.

Look, my opinion is that i could write a games review in 1800-2000 words. It is my [/i]opinion. You are a more experienced writer andare forgetting not everyone can write as concise as you. When did i say that areview has to be long to be good? I then posted a reply saying i dont believe that but i am scared my reviews will get longer because i will want to put more detail in. The point of me posting this question was to get info on the optiminum length and i think i have made my mind up now. I rndomly chose a review andcopied it into word (not mine) and felt that a 2000 word one is OK
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 13:54

krazykat2005 wrote:
Quote :

But then you'll take out my funny jokes and references to the worm in Labyrinth. Sad Sad Sad

without the jokes the review is worthless. Sad

Seriously though, unless you are really interested in the product in question, how many 2000 plus word reviews do you read thoroughly?

maybe travel if the writer is talented enough to keep your interests and a car review if you are looking to buy that car, but on food or dvd/movies how long does a review have to be before you start to skim through it looking for the info?

This is not a dig at any one person but it is a dig at the concept that reviews need to be long to impress.

If you want to write to get a diamond on Ciao or a crown on Dooyoo then fine, if that is your goal be honest and say "that is why I write!" (not you but anyone really) and accept the fact that although they may receive crtical accaim from the awardmongers, they are not really that valuable to average Joe unless they have 20 minutes to spare.

I have just booked 3 days in Tenerife as we could not take a week and I booked everything sperately. I went to trip advisor and checked out the hotels in adeje and each review is aboput 100-300 words long and they tell you enough to assist your decision making. I checked out hire cars myself and used 4 different sites to do that. Flights took me a lot longer and I managed to go from £675 for the two flights to £280 by checking out reviews on google (flights tenerife reviews) and just looking for short snappy info.

I would not waste my time going through a 2000+ word review to find the words COST ME in amongst the clutter of "me and my mate went..."

I am a consumer, I purchase 20 or 30 items a week online and I prefer snappy reviews but that is just me.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 14:00

I am not too bothered by critisism actually, but the fact that i have my opinion and i think 1800 words is fine. I dont write for crowns or expect to get them either but since i have them from my long reviews i posted this to see what people thought. Wow, i got rated a SU and i am not bothered because its your opinion.

The only time i would say 'me and my mate went'would be in the introduction too and it would be a sentance and i dont think ive done that recently either. I could shorten my introduction but i do not put things like that in there

also, 6 pages for my microsoft word is a lot shorter really-the writing is larger and so are the margins. I just realised during the copy & paste

Last edited by on Sat 20 May 2006, 14:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 14:04

sirg0508 wrote:
I'm writing my How to... op for my category and personally I'm telling people I don't want to read 10,000 words on an item when it can be done in less than 1000. Take out all the personal info about your family, how you came about buying it - focus on the product in question. Give a short intro covering the basics so consumers coming to the site can get the info to decide if that is actually what they are looking for instead of wasting their time having to read the whole review...

If I can't find the relevant info because there is too much padding, I will rate it down.

D Smile

Thankyou. I don't mind that opinion, because i know my writing is long but some games do need more than 1000 words to describe in my opinion
Back to top Go down
krazykat2005

krazykat2005

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 14:08

Well I like the little extra bits in reviews that make me laugh, or are interesting to read even if not totally relevant... that's what makes them different to read. cheers
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths EmptySat 20 May 2006, 14:09

butters wrote:
sirg0508 wrote:
I'm writing my How to... op for my category and personally I'm telling people I don't want to read 10,000 words on an item when it can be done in less than 1000. Take out all the personal info about your family, how you came about buying it - focus on the product in question. Give a short intro covering the basics so consumers coming to the site can get the info to decide if that is actually what they are looking for instead of wasting their time having to read the whole review...

If I can't find the relevant info because there is too much padding, I will rate it down.

D Smile

Thankyou. I don't mind that opinion, because i know my writing is long but some games do need more than 1000 words to describe in my opinion

Why?

Your latest review is sooooooo long yet a pro site has a review on the same game and it is 1500 words long, does that tell you something?

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/action/ratchetclank/review.html?page=2&q=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Review Lengths Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review Lengths   Review Lengths Empty

Back to top Go down

Review Lengths
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next