www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What makes a crown worthy review ?

Go down 
+19
dididave
plipplop
Vax
inspirangel
duskmaiden
Paul99ine
Minnitee
atticusuk
koshkha
Ciao's Favourite Member
susie19
berlioz
helencbradshaw
marandina
Stunt_101
WendyBull
lisa2062
rocknroll
Thingywhatsit
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

What makes a crown worthy review ? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 16:16

With new members in mind, let's discuss what it takes to get crowns on dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
rocknroll

rocknroll

Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2006-08-04

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 16:21

Rate all reviews for the guide who looks after the category you've written in, it wont guarantee a crown but it might help Laughing
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 16:24

Well for starters you have got to think about what questions you would ask about the product, as a potential buyer. Then in a systematic order and with use of a spelling/grammar checker, go into detail about the product adding plenty of personal opinion. Also don't include lots of lists about a product, it's your experience of the product we want to know about. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 16:25

Take no notice.

Write your review, re-read it, make sure you put in everything that you think it needs, spell check it, and do the best you can. Remember about product reviews, a balance is required

1) the product itself and perhap what made you choose it against other similar products (only my opinion)
2) YOUR personal experience of the product
3) Some kind of conclusion.

These are just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 16:48

rocknroll wrote:
Rate all reviews for the guide who looks after the category you've written in, it wont guarantee a crown but it might help Laughing

lol!

I like to read abour personal usage. For example if you are reviewing a toy, I would like to know how well received it was by teh child and if they managed to do everyhting it ahd to offer, within the age range specified.

Tell us why you like/dislike something and always re-read and use a spell check!
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
rocknroll

rocknroll

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 17:00

WendyBull wrote:

I like to read abour personal usage. For example if you are reviewing a toy, I would like to know how well received it was by teh child and if they managed to do everyhting it ahd to offer, within the age range specified.

Tell us why you like/dislike something and always re-read and use a spell check!

'teh' and 'ahd' yeap always re read and spell check lol!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 17:18

oops! I need a spell check on here! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 18:18

Put all the necersarry info, give plenty of opinion, spell check, write a good conclusion and use headings to make it easier to read.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 18:23

Quote :
necersarry

LOL we are not setting a good example here !! bom
Back to top Go down
marandina

marandina

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 18:27

How about folks trying the reviews at http://members.dooyoo.co.uk/internet-sites/dooyoo-crowns/?
Back to top Go down
http://www.casheroonie.com
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 19:03

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Quote :
necersarry

LOL we are not setting a good example here !! bom

ner ner na ner ner! Laughing (see it's not just me R&R) lol
Back to top Go down
rocknroll

rocknroll

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 19:17

I'm sure stunt was just trying to make you feel better tongue
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 19:27

rocknroll wrote:
I'm sure stunt was just trying to make you feel better tongue

exactly, i know how to spell it
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 19:48

Stunt_101 wrote:
Put all the necersarry info, give plenty of opinion, spell check, write a good conclusion and use headings to make it easier to read.
What is "all necessary info" though? This is where many go wrong....

I don't think reviews need headings either. I can read quite well without them...reviews don't need headings for me to nominate, personally. In fact they often detract (especially when a five line paragraph appears at the end called "Opinion" ) Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 19:56

Headings seem to be a sticky issue with a lot of people, but readers who are dyslexic find them very helpful. Although I'm not dyslexic I'm aware that splitting a review into paragraphs with headings makes it easier for them to digest.
At the end of the day I think these help make the presentation of a longer review better, and that is one of the things i look for in deciding whether i think it's crown worthy or not. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 20:00

In all honesty I do like headings, although I like a nice chunk of writing under each one. It puts me off when I see one sentence under a heading and the next heading straight away.
Back to top Go down
rocknroll

rocknroll

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 20:01

Having headings in a review is simply personal choice and being present or not, I doubt would effect whether a crown is given out or not.

I prefer to see them but would not rate down or not nominate if they were not present.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 22:25

I wonder if I'm doing something terribly wrong when I simply refuse to use a spellchecker when everybody else says "spell check everything". I just can't get it through my head that a simple computer program will understand exactly what I'm saying (and correcting me when I know there is no mistake in my sentence).

As for headers, I think they are more beneficial if the review happens to turn into a long one (not saying a review should be long... please, don't throw stuff at me), but for short and average length reviews they are not really necessary at all. At least that's how I feel.
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 22:30

What's it like to be so perfect? Sigh.. lol!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 22:38

I have never really got the "spellcheck" advice either.

Proof read..yes.

Headings...I don't pretend to understand dyslexia at all, but most written texts do not come with headings every five sentences.

I have done reviews with headings myself, I just don't think they are necessary most of the time. The language and use of paragraphs should chunk down the content, not the heading.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 22:40

Just pointing out that a couple of reads through a review should iron out most mistakes. I know I correct sentences all the time just for the reason that sometimes the structure of one sounds so stupid that it needs to be rephrased. Can a spellchecker do that, huh?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 22:55

It will look at parts of a sentence, and suggest (e.g.) passive sentences could be reworded...but as for reading the entire sentence...no it is not that intelligent!
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 23:17

Particularly if there isn't anything wrong with the actual sentence, but I just don't like how it sounds. Wink
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptyMon 05 Mar 2007, 00:12

Even when I've spaced my paragraphs up appropriately, I've had on occasions dyslexic members ask if I could add headings to make the review easier to read.

Going back to what makes a review crown worthy, what puts me off nominating is when a review goes all around the houses to get to the point. While I don't mean a review should be 2 or 3 sentences long, I don't what to read too much about how when they washed they hair one day reminded them they had to by a Bread maker. While a funny stories make an interesting read and can at times enhance the review, I prefer that on the whole the review stays on track. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? EmptyMon 05 Mar 2007, 00:46

lisa2062 wrote:

Going back to what makes a review crown worthy, what puts me off nominating is when a review goes all around the houses to get to the point. While I don't mean a review should be 2 or 3 sentences long, I don't what to read too much about how when they washed they hair one day reminded them they had to by a Bread maker. While a funny stories make an interesting read and can at times enhance the review, I prefer that on the whole the review stays on track. Lisa x
Ooh definitely. Those kind of reviews are not reviews at all...! More like blogs!

lisa2062 wrote:
Even when I've spaced my paragraphs up appropriately, I've had on occasions dyslexic members ask if I could add headings to make the review easier to read.
I have never been asked that, and to be honest, while I have sometimes rewritten a sentence or so as I received feedback that if the language was a bit clunky, there is no way I would add headings just because someone asked me to (or left a bit of normal misguided "advice" in my comments - a ciao trait....) My English isn't that unreadable..surely!

It would be like translating it to French or German, or Braille or something, and I couldn't do that either..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a crown worthy review ?   What makes a crown worthy review ? Empty

Back to top Go down

What makes a crown worthy review ?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next