www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Violent Game Banned

Go down 
+7
helencbradshaw
Ziggy!
Stunt_101
spoilt_little_brat
fizzywizzy
Mauri
butters
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

Violent Game Banned - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Jun 2007, 10:41

Ziggy! wrote:
Get rid. My ex was stalked (not by me) and it messed her up for ages. One in eight women are harrssed like this and its even higher in gay circles. Lets stop pushing the boundaries and just concentrating on improving gameplay.

I agree with Butters there. Some of the best games have violence. There's the GTA series, Resident Evil, God of War, Gears of War-the list goes on. All of these are mean't to be really fun. Just because a game has violence, doesn't mean its rubbish. Take Scarface, that has tons of gore but, while repetitive, i'm having good fun with it. Don't judge a book by it's cover is say.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Jun 2007, 13:25

I would like to point out that the Church of England have a significant investment in BAE Systems, the arms company,and so the church in the game issue is a tad hypocritcal.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Jun 2007, 14:42

Well the Church of England sued SONY for a different reason, it was not down to Manhunt 2 but the fighting in Manchester Cathedral in the PS3 game Resistance: Fall of Man. They lost anyway.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jun 2007, 00:29

Ziggy! wrote:
BAE Systems, the arms company

I thought they were an civil and military aerospace company myself...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jun 2007, 08:43

There's one thing that get's me though-why does all the controversy go to Rockstar's games? There are tons of games i would say are much more violent than GTA, including Urban Chaos:Riot Response (you could shoot people in the face and blow their heads up right close), GUN (that had someones fingers chopped off and someones head getting caught in a wheel) and 50 Cent Bulletproof (you can stab people in the head and shoot peoples head off right up close. There's also a scene when someone takes a chainsaw and cuts someone right in half.) That said 50 Cent got onto a most violent list in america.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Jun 2007, 10:48

helencbradshaw wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:
BAE Systems, the arms company

I thought they were an civil and military aerospace company myself...!

Indeed they are - I temped there once
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 20:26

Stunt_101 wrote:
There's one thing that get's me though-why does all the controversy go to Rockstar's games? There are tons of games i would say are much more violent than GTA, including Urban Chaos:Riot Response (you could shoot people in the face and blow their heads up right close), GUN (that had someones fingers chopped off and someones head getting caught in a wheel) and 50 Cent Bulletproof (you can stab people in the head and shoot peoples head off right up close. There's also a scene when someone takes a chainsaw and cuts someone right in half.) That said 50 Cent got onto a most violent list in america.

Jack Thompson is the reason. There will nearly always be controversy for 18 rated games (i am surprisedthere aren't more for the Resident Evil series actually) but Rockstars games are constantly good, but constantly violent and he sparks off, tried to sue etc. and then the newspapers are alerted atc. I hate him, really. Just by looking at him on wikipedia shows he is an ass. He even tried to sue his Bar Council that is set up to help lawyers...
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 21:16

Lol he does doesn't he? His hair looks retarded!
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 22:52

I think the NES Super Mario Bros. had a great fault when nowhere did it say you can't walk through the first goomba. Scared the bejeezes out of me the first time around and for that I say the game should be banned more than any other.

And Rad Racer is too difficult. No way do you have enough time given when you have to squirm on the road constantly while dodging Testarossas. It's not fair.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 22:58

lol you are right though in a strange way Berlioz where if you looked at any game with Jack Thompsons eyes, a game could be percieved as bad.

With the Teletubbies and SpongeBob Squarepants under fire for promoting gay-ness (which is pathetic to accuse them of), Mario should be too for the same reason..
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:04

Teletubbies and Spongebob accused of promoting gay-ness? WHAT IS THIS FREAKING WORLD COMING TOO!!!
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:06

Teletubbies=Tinky Winky carring a handbag.
SpongeBob=Spongebob and Patrick holding hands

Is a sad world..for one, it would just make children not homophobic and secondly children would not see it like that. It wouldn't have an effect.

Plus what happened to gayness not being frowned upon now...

Back on topic though...Manhunt 2 and Mario
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:09

Yes, i have purchased the original Manhunt to see what all the hype is about. I'm that crazy.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:26

Stunt_101 wrote:
Yes, i have purchased the original Manhunt to see what all the hype is about. I'm that crazy.

I might soon. See, controversy boosts sales. Sales figures have even shown this.
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:28

Definately, when the original got the publicity sales went up a lot.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:36

Havent read the whole thread after coming back my hols so I apologise if this has been said....

I remember one of the very first 'furores' over this kind of thing (well, that I noticed at least) when Mortal Combat originally came out on the Megadrive.

They had a 'cheat' to turn on the blood and gore and said that that should be enough to stop minors seeing it - but then as far as I remeber, it DID have a rating on it as well (may have been one of the first, I can't remember).

So, this will keep on happening, and the games will keep on getting made. (I think there was a point there.....)

Oh, and the tinky winky thing was just funny, and spongebob has become a bit of a gay icon, though he doesn't QUITE have madonna status yet....
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:39

I love Mortal Kombat, that has been controversal, espcecially when it went 3D
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:43

Stunt_101 wrote:
I love Mortal Kombat, that has been controversal, espcecially when it went 3D

It was bad enough in 2D - what with the ripping out of spines with blood splattering everywhere!
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:45

Definately, my mate told me it was like Tekken in terms of gore! Lol
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Jun 2007, 23:59

Tekken isn't really gorey though and mortal Kombat isn't bad either. It has blood yes (i find the game itself a little slow paced), but many gamesdo and that get's the rating due to the finishers that are things like ripping peoples heads off. Too unrealistic though.

Went over to IGN and read the interview with the BBFC over Manhunt 2 and it was a decision made by gamers at BBFC so i feel a little less mad though still think it should be released, it is not RockStars fault age limits are not properly enforced. If they were this game would be great.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Jun 2007, 00:04

Unrealistic in what way? Why should that make a difference?

Hell, a lot of the stuff that went on in Kill Bill was totally unrealistic but that still got a high certificate, why whould it be different for games?

Ripping out a spine is ripping out a spine - no matter how many pixels they can do it in.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Jun 2007, 01:13

Yeah, but are you more likely to carry out an act that looks realistic? Is it really possible to run up someone, rip their head off, jump back and throw it at their limb body?

If people are affected by games i think it makes sense that they are affected the more realistic it is. I think those that play these games aren't going to be jumping off stairs thinking they are Buzz Lightyear and would copy out realistic killings.

I think realisticness makes a big difference (anything looking unrealistic would seem that way so would not be done), as would graphics (it brings the events to life).

If you play a 16-bit game and you rip out a spine, you will not really see the gore, more afew sheds of blood. If you do it on GTA though (you can't btw) then the graphics make it look more lifelike and will bring the game to life. There have always been violent games, and some games in 16-bit were very violent. Manhunt 2 would be, but graphics makes violence worse i think. In the same way that CGI would make films worse. A realistic monster would have far more affect than a puppet (Jason and the Argonaughts for example)
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Jun 2007, 17:11

Not at all - I think it's probably the idea of a violent act, rather than how 'realistic' the violence looks. Someone inclined to actually carry out violence would probably be more affected just by seeing it done, rather than whether its on a pixelated 16-bit or a clear PS3. In terms of how much it would affect a person, I can't say it would matter either way.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Jun 2007, 17:15

Oh, and also - is Manhunt 2 for the Wii?
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Jun 2007, 19:24

Yes it is, though i don't think the controls were as you imagine (though i hope you are right). The BBFC though could just ban the Wii version so the banniing was not down to the controls.

Istill disagree with the realisticness thing. An example i can think of is GTA. In the first you went around punching people though with birds-eye crap graphics. PS3 will be more in detail and i think it will have more of an effect. Is a murderer were to play the games i think someone would get far more of a sick thrill out of the realisticness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Violent Game Banned   Violent Game Banned - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Violent Game Banned
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next