www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Crowns at Speaker's Corner

Go down 
+6
drewboy
Ciao's Favourite Member
fizzywizzy
WendyBull
Thingywhatsit
kenjohn
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kenjohn

kenjohn

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:50

plipplop wrote:

Maybe. I don't think these forums are ever a good way of getting things changed - there's too much procrastination, flippancy and / or childish arguing. Most people (including decision makers) tend to switch off and think "they're off again."

(See previous posts.)

You could possibly be right. But if they (the decision makers) were to make the occasional appearance, and perhaps even take on board what members were saying and suggesting every now and again, then maybe the forums could be more useful.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 00:10

dididave wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
dididave wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
I have sent three e-mails to Dooyoo saying I wish to share the travel guide role and that I have someone who wants to share it with me.

I have not heard a word in response!

I don't appear in the guide forum any more because general participation was so sporadic there was no point.

Noyt quite sore what you are trying to say. That not enough Guides were contributing?

In the old forum, there would be no posts for days. Or nothing constructive being discussed. i got tired of it

Going back how long, there be loads of posts now although granted, the same group of say...six or seven people do the majority of posting!

Going back ages. But I don't really want to go back there. I do my guiding work as required and i don't have enough time to participate in the forum as well. I don't consider it very productive
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 02:12

A quick look has identified about twenty posts on the guide forum asking why nothing has been done about guide appointments. In addition this weekend there was one review which pretty much was an advert for the role and encouraged applicants and my own review mentioned the vacancies. Like everyone else I have no idea why they cannot put an advert on the site yet can find the time to congratulate people for leaving comments which was just laughable when you see some of the names listed.

The main response is that those who have been approached said no thanks either due to time restrictions or the fact that guides get loads of abuse and they could do without the hassle. In fact only this weekend someone used both of these excuses to me when I mentioned the vacancies to them.

The second reason for the delay may be because Jared is at the end of his contract so things will be changing.

A motors review was crowned the other week before I even got to read it so someone must be nominating reviews or Dooyoo are reading them, however personally I will hold back on reviews in the sports category until they appoint someone and if no appointment is made soon I will be working on said former guide over a pint or three in a couple of weeks time. See that is how devoted I am, risking my liver to fill guide appointments.

Constantly I read comments and reviews that say that some members could not give a rats arse about crowns as they can write four reviews in the time it takes to write one long one and get more money so it is no surprise that crown awards are down as people don't bother to nominate, having said that some members have seen an increase and at least they seem to get spread around a bit more these days.

Certainly it has made some members change the way they write for the better as they need to secure crowns to maintain earnings, following a reducton in the value of reads.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 02:39

atticusuk wrote:
The second reason for the delay may be because Jared is at the end of his contract so things will be changing.

Now there's an interesting wee tit bit of news I wasn't aware of. That could possibly explain a lot if there's a new person being trained in who may well have their own ideas about the direction of the site.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 11:58

The impression I got was that Elise woud assume some of the responsibiity but I may be wrong.

Also the impression I got was that future direction of site decisions have always been made at levels above the likes of Seb and Jared who seem to deal with day to day management of the site.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 12:04

atticusuk wrote:
however personally I will hold back on reviews in the sports category until they appoint someone and if no appointment is made soon I will be working on said former guide over a pint or three in a couple of weeks time. See that is how devoted I am, risking my liver to fill guide appointments.

Same as. Sports is one of my favourite Categories, but with no Guide in place it's practically impossible to get a review Crowned, as reviews in the Category traditionally seem to get less reads (and therefore less chance of a Crown nomination) than in other Categories. I've also left messages for the "former Guide" you are talking about urging them to take the appointment. As for your liver; enough said. (Heh, heh)

atticusuk wrote:
Constantly I read comments and reviews that say that some members could not give a rats arse about crowns as they can write four reviews in the time it takes to write one long one and get more money so it is no surprise that crown awards are down as people don't bother to nominate, having said that some members have seen an increase and at least they seem to get spread around a bit more these days.

Getting spread around more is probably down to the fact that there are simply more reviews being posted now. Personally my own "Crown count" is way down, but that's understandable considering the reviews I'm writing these days are more in line with what dooyoo seem to want these days. (Short and sweet)

atticusuk wrote:
Certainly it has made some members change the way they write for the better as they need to secure crowns to maintain earnings, following a reducton in the value of reads.

Don't agree, at least for myself. My earnings are WAY up since the new payment system was introduced, and a Crown these days is simply an added (and mostly unexpected) bonus on top of the miles earned for simply writing the review.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 12:06

atticusuk wrote:
The impression I got was that Elise woud assume some of the responsibiity but I may be wrong.

Also the impression I got was that future direction of site decisions have always been made at levels above the likes of Seb and Jared who seem to deal with day to day management of the site.

Probably so. But I would imagine that the ever changing "dooyoo staff" are fairly autonomous when it comes to making decisions about the day to day running and mechanics of the site.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 13:45

kenjohn wrote:
atticusuk wrote:

Probably so. But I would imagine that the ever changing "dooyoo staff" are fairly autonomous when it comes to making decisions about the day to day running and mechanics of the site.

Well I know Elise seems to have a very similar view to Jared so hopefully there should be a nice changeover.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 23:51

Hogsflesh is the new guide for Speakers Corner.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 23:59

plipplop wrote:
Hogsflesh is the new guide for Speakers Corner.
Well done that man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 12:14

New Guides for Pets and Food and Drink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 14:27

Good work from the guides getting new blood in. Well done!
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 16:20

Some action at last. By the way, Aaron, how do you know it was the Guides that were responsible for recruiting the new additions? Fair play to them if it was mind you. That's the way it always operated in my Guiding days.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 16:58

I never said "recruiting". The days of guides "recruiting" are long since gone as most nowadays don't believe that it's part of a guides remit or that they personally feel it's "icky" to do so or both.

However, new guides are in place because of ongoing direct action by some guides (Claire's excellent Guides review is a prime example here) to highlight vacancies and I believe more are to come, as soon as Elise can finalise things.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 17:21

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
I never said "recruiting". The days of guides "recruiting" are long since gone as most nowadays don't believe that it's part of a guides remit or that they personally feel it's "icky" to do so or both.

However, new guides are in place because of ongoing direct action by some guides (Claire's excellent Guides review is a prime example here) to highlight vacancies and I believe more are to come, as soon as Elise can finalise things.

Anyways, one good thing (at least from my point of view) is that we now need a new Guide in the Computers Category. Pity it wasn't in Software as well, then dooyoo might just get a lot more Guide applications from other members!

Thanks for pointing out Clare's review to me, BTW. I'm off to read it now.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 20:55

Sorry if this is old news but it is not the case that Jared is at the end of his contract. He has actually left already. I just heard this.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 23:19

This is a great start with three new guides. Things are looking up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 23:27

'recruiting' can take time, but dooyoo are almost there now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 02:29

kenjohn wrote:

atticusuk wrote:

Don't agree, at least for myself. My earnings are WAY up since the new payment system was introduced, and a Crown these days is simply an added (and mostly unexpected) bonus on top of the miles earned for simply writing the review.

Nah but I can think of a couple who have suddenly started writing for crowns more so than before as only writing one review a day with a reduction in read value has made them change the way they write. I can see it in the way they structure the review and avoid off topic ramblings.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 02:30

fizzywizzy wrote:
Sorry if this is old news but it is not the case that Jared is at the end of his contract. He has actually left already. I just heard this.

Yep his contract is at an end however he did say on the forum that he would be around for certain things on Dooyoo for a short while if he was needed.
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 13:32

atticusuk wrote:

Nah but I can think of a couple who have suddenly started writing for crowns more so than before as only writing one review a day with a reduction in read value has made them change the way they write. I can see it in the way they structure the review and avoid off topic ramblings.

I think I can think of ONE member you are probably referring to. Likes to moan a lot, right? And he hasn't even got the excuse of being a Grumpy Old Man/Veteran Reviewer like we have. (Heh, heh) Razz
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptySat 23 Feb 2008, 02:04

See with minds this sharp senility is a long way off, now where did I put my dentures?
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2008, 23:43

Eh....Have to eat my words somewhat....I received a Crown this morning (granted not in SC, but let's not split hairs) within 20 minutes of posting it, and with only FIVE member reads at the time, none of who were Guides!
So the "dooyoo staff" must be reading and awarding at least SOME Crowns of their own bat. Ta muchly to the dooyoo staff!
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2008, 00:03

kenjohn wrote:
Eh....Have to eat my words somewhat....I received a Crown this morning (granted not in SC, but let's not split hairs) within 20 minutes of posting it, and with only FIVE member reads at the time, none of who were Guides!
So the "dooyoo staff" must be reading and awarding at least SOME Crowns of their own bat. Ta muchly to the dooyoo staff!

See, now we will go bust!
Back to top Go down
kenjohn

kenjohn

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2008, 00:14

plipplop wrote:
See, now we will go bust!

Nah...I might go bust though, eating all these words of mine lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crowns at Speaker's Corner   Crowns at Speaker's Corner - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crowns at Speaker's Corner
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next