www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?

Go down 
+8
berlioz
dididave
mattygroves
COOOEEE
sandemp
Lunah_c
kgray71
Thingywhatsit
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? Empty
PostSubject: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySun 12 Mar 2006, 23:36

What makes you wish you had not opened a review ? Let's see what people think.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
kgray71

kgray71

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySun 12 Mar 2006, 23:53

When you scroll down to the start of the review and realise that then end is there as well! Cos you know you are either going to rate SH or NH because people have not spent time looking around the site before diving in.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 00:13

When it's a copy. You either have to rate, reply and report and fear reprisal or just walk away.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 00:52

Long lists of features, reviews that start "I got this phone this morning...", copies, being told the ending of a film/book, do I need to go on?
Back to top Go down
COOOEEE

COOOEEE

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 02:52

When it is from a usually good reviewer and the review is just not up to scratch or even so bad you have to rate low. Then you feel you need to give a reason why you rated lower than everyone else. I don't shy away from this but do feel awkward if I know them well but rate the review and not the reviewer as some clever person once said.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 12:44

revu's that lok lke ths drve me nts! no speling grammer or coherence no captal ltrs or pnctution. the revu mks no sence & peepl get offnded whn u downrate.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 13:20

Reviews that are knowingly off topic. They still get a shedload of VH's and the inevitable abuse that comes my way when I OT it is always nice.

Also reviews with no paragraph breaks whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 13:41

who the heck would write a review off topic, knowing that that was what it was ? No, I don;t want names but what would be the motivation ?
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 14:04

Wanting to cause mischief? Stupidity? Smart-arse "cleverness"?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 14:10

Quote :
Wanting to cause mischief? Stupidity? Smart-arse "cleverness"?

Can't see anything clever in it at all.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 14:16

Admin wrote:
who the heck would write a review off topic, knowing that that was what it was ? No, I don;t want names but what would be the motivation ?

Quite a few people do actually post OT, normally with the excuse that it "was the closest category they could find" or "the category I wanted wasn't there".
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 14:17

Yeh but surely not established members as is suggested ! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyMon 13 Mar 2006, 14:29

Well, yes I have seen it with established members as well, not nearly as often, but very, very occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Minha

Minha

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 19:50

A review CAN be TOO long! Recently I have found that a lot of sometimes VERY good writers just don't seem to want to stop. It IS supposed to be a review after all - NOT a book. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:03

I posted an off topic review, genuine mistake, 10 days ago. I picked the wrong one out of the four available options. I asked Ciao to move it which the haven't done) AND left a note at the beginning of the review saying it was in the wrong category and I was waiting for it to be moved, also said that Off Topic ratings were acceptable as it was OT. Not one person rated it lower than VH.

Did the same on dooyoo (I think it was the same night) with a different review - again, nobody downrated.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:08

This is begging for members to go over and rate you off topic !!! LOL You are safe on ciao cos I cannot rate there.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:29

sorry didn't mean to ask for reduction on CPs, it took me long enough to get the ones I have now.

I think there is a very clear line between established members posting OT and newbies (or people we don't particularly like). I always rate OT when I see it, new or old member, even had one comment saying that they would never do it to an established writer. THAT is clearly abuse.

Quote :
You are safe on ciao cos I cannot rate there.
Please, once they reinstate you Rachel, go and downrate me, I deserve it, I need to be made an example of. affraid

But to be honest, I don't like OT reviews at the best of times with the simple excuse that they didn't have anywhere else to put it.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:31

No I have seen ones where the member concerned says that they didn't know where to put it. That sucks big time.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:36

Thingywhatsit wrote:
No I have seen ones where the member concerned says that they didn't know where to put it. That sucks big time.

I've seen those, too. Only the other week there was one and I suggested she had the category added and I returned and rated again. I think Ciao delete the reviews at the moment and you can repost. Happened with the ones I rated again after the correct category was added.

I think some members are just trying it on, they are hoping that nobody notices and they get their payment anyway. It's something I have seen from both, new and established members.

BTW, I used to dread the school holidays as there would be hundreds of copied reviews within a short space of time.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 20:38

Payment ? what payment ?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 22:25

Re OT, it is amazing how so many get vh or E even, and they are in the wrong place, and then you're the bad guy for giving it the only rating that applies.

Re the Thread here: it would have to be LISTS. Lyrics in CD reviews - why; Ingredients in Food reviews or cosmetics; big long cut and paste menus for restaurant reviews or lists of all the rides in theme parks, that sort of thing.

If they are overly long, e.g. 4000 words on something that doesn't warrant it (which is most stuff!), I tend not to read now. I've not got the time, and it's not good for the consumer.

Challenges have had their day too. There are few good ones anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
HotMonkey

HotMonkey

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2006-03-25

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyTue 28 Mar 2006, 22:55

Lunah_c wrote:
When it's a copy. You either have to rate, reply and report and fear reprisal or just walk away.

I agree, also alot of other people have said that when it is too short and when they just write the same thing over and over again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.giuseppes-photos.5u.com
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyTue 28 Mar 2006, 23:08

Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? EmptyTue 28 Mar 2006, 23:15

Quote :
Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice.
Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice. Oh yes, I hate that too. They seem to think that no one will notice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?   WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT MAKES A BAD REVIEW ?
Page 1 of 1