www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM

Go down 
+3
helencbradshaw
jaggynettles
Thingywhatsit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM Empty
PostSubject: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 11:27

I believe, but I may be wrong, that if you suggest products and do not write in them, you are penalised the points you are given which is fair enough. However, what would a responsible writer do in circumstances such as mine. I proposed a product and someone else wrote a better review than I could ever muster and I thought that my writing in it would not add value to the site. Should I write to dooyoo and get them to deduct the points I gained proposing it ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 11:49

Absolutely not!

That person may never have considered writing a review on the product if it wasn't for you suggesting it. Who's to say the didn't just see it in the "new product list" and think "Oh, i like the sound of that title. I'll have a go at writing something."

Also, you may consider that the other review was more helpful than yours, but others may think differently. It's always better to have more than one point of view on a subject as it helps the reader make a more informed decision.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 11:54

Their review was much better than mine would be and I actually think the fair way out would be to deduct the points because I cannot produce a review of that quality on that particular product. Of course, I could write one but it would be mediocre and for a few miles is hardly worth the effort. I shall see what dooyoo says about it. I think the penalty system was introduced for people that suggest products to gain miles and then never bother to write in them.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 12:12

The penalty system is for when you don't write a review on the products you've proposed. The reason for this is because DooYoo don't want lots of empty categories clogging up their search system.

I expect to get points deducted any day now because I proposed 4 DVDs but following discussions on here in the last couple of weeks I've had to propose them all again on VHS which means the DVD titles will remain unreviewed by me. Getting points deducted for this reason is fair.

I think asking DooYoo to deduct miles from you for the reason you have stated is very honourable but, I personally think, unnecessary. You obviously feel very strongly about this but is it worth it just to get 1p (10 points) removed from your account?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 13:30

Yes. I actually don't want to cheat the system even of a penny !
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 13:37

I wouldn't do that, but if someone says something in a better way than I possibly can, then I shan't write the review either.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 13:58

Yeh you are probably right, but the thing is when I suggested it, I thought I knew the program well. However my lack of expertise would really show up and I am not sure I can advise the public wisely. The other review did. Point is, it's not just me and a penny. If all members used the same excuse, it would mess up the site.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 14:04

How much do you actually get for proposing a product ? I thought it was more than a penny.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 16:21

Keep the penny or 1.5 cents in your case, Rachel and POST your review!

As a consumer, when I am doing research, I pay more attention to the number of reviews, and the number of positive reviews, than I do to the text. (Yes, I read the text, but not all reviews, and if 60 people rate something like a hotel 2 stars, I won't bother reading any reviews at all!! )

For example, I am trying to book some accommodation in San Francisco and another American City (undecided) when I go in June for sister's wedding. One review is no good to me whatsoever, if there are 60 reviews, and the average rating given by the writers is four stars, that to me means consistent quality. (There are some far better online resources for hotel accommodation btw, than Dooyoo and Ciao, but that's by the by)

But even if you don't post your review, someone else has so Dooyoo would have paid the 10 miles anyway, and it will cost Anne a lot more than 1p to read your email and delete 10 miles. We don't need to burden the poor lady with administration No

The intention of this policy, presumably, is to stop me adding 1000 products in an afternoon, and clearing off with a £10 voucher. Idea
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySat 18 Mar 2006, 16:23

Yeh I am not completely daft and realised that one suggestion not taken up is not that important globally but if we all did it, we would be putting up topics that are empty which looks bad for the site. Not sure I can do the subject justice after reading the last one, but may try it anyway because my angle may be different and have one little glipse at the product that the other one didn't
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 12:25

Last edited by on Thu 23 Mar 2006, 20:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 12:49

Hey you watch it !!! Seriously though if people added willy nilly and never wrote their reviews, it creates great big holes in the database and makes dooyoo look silly. I noticed on ciao there are loads like that. You think you are going to get information and what you get is nothing.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 13:17

Suggest all you want but dooyoo have hinted that those who suggest and do not write will eventually have their suggestions ignored.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyMon 27 Mar 2006, 23:12

I posted about 4 suggestions and it queued for ages so i went off the site for 2 weeks. i came back and 3 of them were already written so i decided to leave it a while. i was in tghe mood at the time and you should get penalised the dooyoo miles that you earnt by suggesting it but i hae to say that have only written half of what ive suggested. In the future i plan to wrote some of them though
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 19:33

i don't suggest more than maybe 2 things at a time and I write the reviews on word and save them until the suggestion comes through.

As soon as it comes through I add the review. This way if you are making a suggestion on one of the 1st review reward categories you won't miss out to someone else writing first.

xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 20:03

It's actually not like ciao Wendy, and no one misses out by not being the first writer. On ciao you get a bonus for it. On dooyoo, you don't. You just get a few points for suggesting it.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 20:17

yeah but on some of the categories like games, photograophy etc you can win a draw and get an extra £2.50.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Nar

Nar

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-19

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 20:24

A similar thing happened to me recently on Ciao when one of my product proposals came through when I was having my "time off" from Ciao and another member probably benefitted by writing the first review off my proposal. But, I just dont mind that at all.

Even on Dooyoo the incentive is there to of course write the first review from the product proposal youve suggested for a measly addition to your fund, but that generates a "better than you," thought which then adds stress and arguements.

I can see your point Rachel but if Dooyoo gave more of an incentive for the first who proposes a review, then the arguement for closer financial gain would be stronger.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 20:34

Yeh but the financial gain thing means very little to me. What means more is producing a review that is more helpful than others in the category and on this one, someone wrote a much better one than I could muster. Writing a lesser one for the sake of the pennies would be a bit of a no no really from my point of view. Let others shine. They deserve it and the public gets to see a better review than the one I could produce. Something I noticed on dooyoo is that the most recent review seems to come up, so I overshadow a better review than I could muster ? No, not my style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM   SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM Empty

Back to top Go down

SUGGESTING TOPICS AND NOT WRITING IN THEM
Page 1 of 1