www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SMOKING IN PUBLIC

Go down 
+9
dabmim
drewboy
helencbradshaw
Nar
Lunah_c
spoilt_little_brat
Louise90
TheArchaic
Thingywhatsit
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:20

Shame you were still misunderstood. Something to work on maybe?
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:26

I, Jill Murphy...
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:26

Lunah_c wrote:
Shame you were still misunderstood. Something to work on maybe?

No work neccesary now, you admit you misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Jill Murphy

... want to have...
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

... the bloody last word!
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Jill Murphy wrote:
... want to have...

Jill, no means no!
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:32

I explained why I misunderstood...because your post misled me by the way it was written.

Jill, you can have the last word.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:32

Git!
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:33

Argh! I was calling Agnes the git! Do your elephant smiley, quickly, Agnes.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:33

ARGH !
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:34

Jill Murphy wrote:
Git!

Admit you still love me and I will go away.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:34

elephant cheers elephant cheers elephant
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:35

albino albino albino albino albino
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:35

I still love you Angus, now piss off !!
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:36

Anyone got a spare fag for my baby?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:36

agh !!! you stirring little git !!
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:37

Thingywhatsit wrote:
agh !!! you stirring little git !!

Sherry is my baby and she has no cigarettes left.

See, it is so easy to jump to conclusions. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:38

Teddy is mine and he doesn't touch the weed.
Back to top Go down
Lynzie

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 20:50

Please Please please would someone answer Angus's question about the statistics cos' i would also like to know were it says that you are 9 times more likely to have a cot death if you smoke, Ive got 3 kids and none of them have died my friend has 4 kids and non of them have died and my other friend has 2 and neither of them have died so there are 9 kids that havent died.

I would like proof of this nine times more likely shit.

Also please read carefully below

Very little is known about the possible causes of SIDS; there is no method for absolute prevention. However, several risk factors are associated with increased probability of the syndrome.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 21:05

I still love you Angus!
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 21:15

In my research earlier, I found that most websites took great care NOT to talk in concrete terms, but in vague terms such as 'increased risk'. Only a few sites were prepared to put numbers on it, and most of those were far lower than a 9x risk.

I think the problem is that there aren't enough studies and too few deaths to be accurate with statistics if you are a bona fide scientist and not a journalist looking for headlines.

Despite the obvious grief at the death of a child, there were only 309 cot deaths in the entire UK in 2004 - compared to other [possibly] smoking-related diseases such as lung cancer, the numbers are tiny.

However, here's the details of the study that found the biggest risk factor - and it's 8x, not 10x:

Quote :

* If mothers smoke during pregnancy, their babies are up to 15 times more likely to die of cot death, than babies of non-smoking mothers.1
* The risk of cot death increases according to the number of cigarettes women smoke per day while pregnant. Those who smoke one to nine cigarettes a day, increase the risk to their babies fivefold, and more than 20 increases the risk eight and a half times. 2
* In the UK’s largest ever cot death study, it was found that babies who died were at least twice as likely to have been exposed to tobacco smoke. Postnatally, the more hours babies are exposed to cigarette smoke, the greater the risk of cot death. Babies exposed to more than eight hours smoke a day were four times more likely to die, than babies exposed to one hour. The risk increased according to the number of smokers in the household and the number of cigarettes smoked.2
* It has been suggested that if maternal smoking during pregnancy were eliminated, the SIDS rate would be reduced considerably by 30- 40 % in a population where 30% of mothers smoke.3
* Babies who share a bed with parents who smoke are more likely to die of cot death, even if their parents don’t smoke in bed.2,3
* In a 1998 Dept of Health survey, only nine per cent of pregnant women knew that smoking during pregnancy increased the risk of cot death.4

Smoking increases the risk of cot death but some babies die suddenly and unexpectedly whose parents have never smoked. To reduce the risk of cot death parents and carers need to:

* Place their baby on the back to sleep
* Cut smoking in pregnancy - fathers too!
* Do not let anyone smoke in the same room as the baby
* Do not let their baby get too hot
* Keep their baby's head uncovered - place their baby with feet to the foot of the cot, to prevent wriggling down under the covers
* If their baby is unwell, seek medical advice promptly
* Avoid falling asleep with their baby on a sofa
* Sleep their baby in a cot in your room for the first six months
* Do not share a bed with their baby if they are smokers, have been drinking alcohol, take drugs or medication that makes them drowsy or if they are excessively tired

1. Alm B et al (2001) Changes in the epidemiology of sudden infant death syndrome in Sweden 1973-1996. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 84:24-30
2. Fleming P et al, (2000) Sudden unexpected deaths in infancy - the CESDI/SUDI studies. The Stationery Office, London
Wisborg K, et al (2000) A prospective study of smoking during pregnancy and SIDS. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 83:203-206
3. Sudden infant death in the Nordic countries. Results of the Nordic study of SIDS 1990-1996,TemaNord (1997)
4. Department of Health, unpublished research, (1998).

That's from www.sids.org.uk.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 21:36

The experts can narrow down the parents most likely to have a cot death.This would suggest thta in some cases its not the child but the parent, child abuse etc..It is poverty related of course, but a regional map of the country can pin- point areas where theres a ten fold increase of SIDs.This again defeats any mysterious bug or genetic cause.The parents most likely to suffer a cotdeath tend to smoke;be lower class,single moms and take prescription drugs and booze etc..

The actual stat is that cot death moms are nine times more likely to smoke.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4617976.stm

I think the fact that sharp lawyers are springing high profile cases because of Dr Meadows flawed eveidence we will once again see a rise in cases.I know that kids that are taken into care from a family that lose two children or more tend to have a much higher chance of not being a SID away from that family,which suggests no genetic cause.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 21:40

We are told you have a five in 1 chance of winning on a scratchcard but buy 5 and you don't necessarily get a winning one. So just because you have 9 children who have not died does not mean it must be untrue.

Again though, proof is needed, but, I really don't think written evidence is needed to see the harm smoking can cause either to ourselves or those around us.

Common sense not statistics is what is needed.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 EmptyTue 02 May 2006, 00:10

I dont think its the smoke that kills the kids is what child protection officers are trying to say...For instance,25% of Dutch/Morrocan SIDS happend on thier annual two week vaction away from Holland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

SMOKING IN PUBLIC
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4