www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SUGGESTIONS LISTS.

Go down 
+7
CareBear
Minnitee
duskmaiden
liz1102
WendyBull
lisa2062
Thingywhatsit
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 21 Nov 2006, 20:39

I am a little concerned. I have proposed items for another member though I have the feeling that if your proposal boxes become filled with proposed but not written on, you wont be able to propose any more which I understand. Can a guide confirm this with dooyoo, and ask what we do about suggestions we make on behalf of other members.

One of mine has come back as NO SUGGESTION POSSIBLE FOR THIS CATEGORY. Are there problem areas ?

Last edited by on Wed 03 Jan 2007, 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 21 Nov 2006, 20:44

I think if you consistantly propose products in one category, then you won't be able to ask for anymore in that section to be added. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 21 Nov 2006, 21:04

I'll post your query in the forum and see what Jared says. x
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 21 Nov 2006, 21:53

I got "NO SUGGESTION POSSIBLE FOR THIS CATEGORY" in mobile phones earlier. It was my first suggestion in that category too.

It would be nice to have some way of removing the old suggestions from the list, as it just is cluttered, and mine don't seem to show up in order anyway, so it took me a minute or two to find the right box, only to then learn it wasn't added anyway lol
Back to top Go down
duskmaiden

duskmaiden

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2006-10-27

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 15:24

I second that about removing the old sugestions. i can understand them not processing suggestions if peiople are not wrtiting on them.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 14:19

liz1102 wrote:
I got "NO SUGGESTION POSSIBLE FOR THIS CATEGORY" in mobile phones earlier. It was my first suggestion in that category too.

I got the same message in the camera category. An earlier version is on the database and differs only slightly from the one I wanted but I don't want to post in the wrong category. (Not happy putting a disclaimer on explaining why, but that might be the only way to do it if I want to post). I wonder why they are not allowing new products to be added here

and

Does anyone have a complete list of categories where suggestions aren't possible?

I'm sure there one somewhere. Not even a message on dooyoo asking not to suggest in certain categories, they should take those out of the drop down suggestion list if they're not allowed.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 14:29

I'll ask in the guide forum for you and post the reply on here. x
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 14:34

WendyBull wrote:
I'll ask in the guide forum for you and post the reply on here. x

Maybe once we have a reply and definitive list we can make it a sticky so people can see it straight away. It can then aways be amended when things change.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 14:48

Good idea Wendy, that will be extremely useful.
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2006-03-01

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 21:19

OK.

Not stepping on Wendy's toes but Jared is looking into this. We are unlikely to get a definitive list of "closed" categories though as they change and, in theory, should not be closed forever.

As miles are awarded for suggestions DooYoo require that you write in the categories you suggest to stop widespread abuse of suggesting categories for easy miles and then not writing. So, if you want to suggest something, make sure you can write in it.

Rachel, suggesting on behalf of other people is not really what you should be doing. Help them to suggest the category themselves, that way the right person gets the bonus miles and you won't be blocked from suggesting anything else through lack of writing! I can see you had the best of intentions here but if you think about it it's not really how things should be played as you are earning miles when you shouldn't be even though that was not what you desired.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 22:24

Would it not be better if Dooyoo didn't have "closed" categories and just then "rejected" suggestions.

I'm a tad wary that people will simply post reviews somewhere else if they do try a suggestion and find the category is "closed". Sometimes, people forget that they're only SUGGESTING items for the database.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 22:26

I'm also concerned that members are putting forward suggestions for others, but not from a monetary perspective, but just from the fact that people should learn by doing.

There seems to be an air of only joining in on site if you can do things the accepted way - suggestions, writing reviews etc.

The "mollycoddling must stop" campaign starts here!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 22:30

OK, as carebear said here is Jared's reply. Hopefully we will get a list (albeit temporary list) to post up and help others to suggest only in relevant cats for now.

Quote :
Tech Guru emailed for up-to-date info. Give him a little while to respond. The issue is that the categories in question will change over time, so we don't want to post an "official" list of topics to not suggest things for. Because, at least in theory, the current arrangement is temporary.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 22:53

Quote :
Rachel, suggesting on behalf of other people is not really what you should be doing. Help them to suggest the category themselves, that way the right person gets the bonus miles and you won't be blocked from suggesting anything else through lack of writing! I can see you had the best of intentions here but if you think about it it's not really how things should be played as you are earning miles when you shouldn't be even though that was not what you desired.

The one that I suggested was also one that I wrote in and I understand the importance of people suggesting for themselves and am explaining perpetually how it is done, because the learning member will then go on to add more to the site.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 23:45

Point people towards the guides, then. If there's an issue with people not knowing how to add a suggestion, let the guides know and they can offer help AND inform Dooyoo of the potential issue.

The "making Guides worthwhile campaign" starts here*!

*actually, it was over on Opinionators, but who's counting?

Last edited by on Tue 02 Jan 2007, 23:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 23:47

All it needs is a list of temporary categories (or sub-categories) where you can't suggest new products. I can imagine it changes almost on a daily basis but as long as we know what to avoid we can make plans.

I had the same experience as Liz1102 where I got a message that "No suggestions possible for this category". I don't often suggest new products, only the ones I want to write about (I sometimes have most of the review written and am waiting for the product to be added). I have suggested 5 products under the new system, one was rejected and the other four I've submitted reviews for.

I know I suggested some categories early last year and not written but I've not forgotten so I will still write my review. Other things have come up and need attending first.

In the end I decided to post my review under the category of almost the same product, it was almost identical and I added an explanation at the beginning of the review.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 23:49

With the one where no suggestion is necessary that came up on mine, I shall wait until they do allow the category, as if I put it in the wrong place, its not much help is it !
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 11:03

Thingywhatsit wrote:
The one that I suggested was also one that I wrote in and I understand the importance of people suggesting for themselves and am explaining perpetually how it is done, because the learning member will then go on to add more to the site.

In that case I misunderstood your original post scratch

I thought you'd suggested in muliple categories. Even so, point stands, members must learn how to do things themselves. Give a man a fish or teach him to fish 'n all that.

As for categories where suggestions are not possible a misplaced op is no (or little) use and so I think we all just have to respect DooYoo here. If they don't want to add a category then we just can't write in it.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 11:14

One way to avoiding the issue of posting in the rong category is to make use of the number of general discussion categories in Speakers Corner where you can post anything you like. If the product name is in the title then it may come up on a consuer search and in my opinion have some value.
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 11:24

atticusuk wrote:
One way to avoiding the issue of posting in the rong category is to make use of the number of general discussion categories in Speakers Corner where you can post anything you like. If the product name is in the title then it may come up on a consuer search and in my opinion have some value.

That's certainly an option but in such circumstances would you not be better posting elsewhere? Amazon, Ciao, Epinions, even a consumer forum where there is a real category for the product. It's got to be a rare product where there is nowhere in cyberspace that it can correctly be sited!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 11:45

Quote :

I am not sure about this, because the consumer would never find it, Surely if the category is not there, you would be better suggesting it and waiting for it to be accepted. How can dooyoo clean up areas which are dubious if people keep filling them with stuff which should be elsewhere ? Isn't that why the database is such a mess ?
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 21:08

CareBear wrote:
In that case I misunderstood your original post scratch

I thought you'd suggested in muliple categories. Even so, point stands, members must learn how to do things themselves. Give a man a fish or teach him to fish 'n all that.

Exactly. That's the point I was trying to put across.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 21:25

I think the new layout of dooyoo would probably mean that if any member suggested products and did not write in them and the boxes got filled up, they would be unable to suggest any more which seems a very sensible way of doing things.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 22:16

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I think the new layout of dooyoo would probably mean that if any member suggested products and did not write in them and the boxes got filled up, they would be unable to suggest any more which seems a very sensible way of doing things.

Which boxes? I imagine the amount you can have in suggestions will go on for ever won't it, all my completed ones are showing up.

atticusuk wrote:
One way to avoiding the issue of posting in the wrong category is to make use of the number of general discussion categories in Speakers Corner where you can post anything you like. If the product name is in the title then it may come up on a consumer search and in my opinion have some value.

I agree it might have some value for someone somewhere but generally I would oppose this kind of thing if it was down to me (not that it is but I will just say why anyway!!) . The point of a consumer website is for consumers to get a collective feel of how a product or service is rated i.e. 1 star = avoid, 2 stars = probably avoid 3 stars = maybe worth a closer look...etc reviews in random places negates this, although the review might be found via google that way. But people who are reading reviews before purchase will want them in one place..which is why I normally discourage these "ABC Hotel Chain in general reviews" in my category and get people to add the actual hotel location instead. Until this little thing is sorted, dooyoo will never compete with the consumer review information held at tripadvisor or expedia.

Thirdly...regarding the points about adding new products for other members, I also added a product for a member the other day, which isn't what I would normally do, especially not on Dooyoo where it is so easy to add a product, (unlike Ciao, which can be tricky if you dont have the knack for finding the "product not found button" ) but I did it for a couple of reasons..

The comments were looking a tad harsh, and it was New Year's Day so I was being nice, before the member got any more comments telling them what an idiot they are!

It was a first review, and very likely the member might not even come back to read a private message from me or any other guide, with an explanation of the Suggestions Menu.

I was reporting it as a "Move Review" and there was nowhere to actually move it to. No
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 23:43

Then I feel you should be applauded as a very helpful guide. In circumstances such as these I am not sure how else you could have dealt with it other than frighten the poor member off the site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTIONS LISTS.   SUGGESTIONS LISTS. Empty

Back to top Go down

SUGGESTIONS LISTS.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next