www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.

Go down 
+9
Ciao's Favourite Member
CareBear
atticusuk
sandemp
berlioz
Minnitee
scream4bruce
lisa2062
Thingywhatsit
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. Empty
PostSubject: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 20:12

Established members please bear with me. I have been asked four times in the past week what crowns are for and how do you get them by members who have become members here. Most are crossovers from ciao that do not yet understand dooyoo as a site, so the reason for posting this is to explain it to them. Crowns are awarded once a weekm usually on a Monday, to reviews which dooyoo consider the best for the week, guided by guides and by member nominations. They mean that your earnings are better as you get paid for a crown, and are a much fairer system than ciao diamonds as they are regularly given out to members that write what dooyoo considers are good reviews.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 20:27

As a add on to that, reviews that are well layed out and contain enough information to help someone make a purchasing decision stand a good chance of getting one. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 21:25

Does well laid out constitute to using the likes of headers? It's not something I use...
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 21:42

I think balance is what a review needs. Personal experience of product, ease of getting information etc.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 21:59

scream4bruce wrote:
Does well laid out constitute to using the likes of headers? It's not something I use...

I don't always use headers, depends very much on the review I'm writing. I don't think it makes much difference as long as your review is well written, thought out and balanced.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 22:04

I honestly don't think that following any particular pattern of layout is healthy. I think writers should stick to their own style which is so important. What matters is the information that is in the review, not how spread out it is.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 26 Dec 2006, 23:06

I think the use of headers is useful only if you see that your review is ending up becoming a long one (whether on purpose or by a matter of incident). And in those cases, it is best that the header is clearly separated as a header, not to be confused with the main text. Otherwise a clear separation of subjects into paragraphs will do.

I find the best most pleasant reviews to be those that are visually clear and defer from lumping text together or adding unnecessary pushes of the enter key (since there's no formatting, there's very little sense in trying to do anything really unecessary like that). Clear and easy to read stimulates the eye and the information in the review is more easily absorbable and understandable, whereas an unclear layout tires one easily.

So in a nutshell, separate headers clearly from the main text body and when you see a paragraph is long enough, leave an empty line before starting the new one. Those two things I think are all you need to make a visually pleasing and clear review.

That's from someone doing this kind of stuff for a living. Wink
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyFri 29 Dec 2006, 13:21

I nominate for a crown if the review is well written, chock full of personal experience/opinion and seems to just have the edge over other reviews. What I don't like in reviews are lists, whether they be of ingredients, specs or menu options.

As for the style of writing, that doesn't really matter, nor does the length. In certain categories I'm more likely to nominate a short review than a long one. Mind that doesn't mean that the review I've nominated gets crowned.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptySat 30 Dec 2006, 18:05

I do think the guide nomination is very important for a review to get a crown, although some do crown without a guide nomination, if you look back at those categories where no crwons are awarded often they are the ones without an active guide.
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 20:57

Guide activity is one of the things that DooYoo are trying to address... now.... who wants to guide????!!
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 02 Jan 2007, 22:20

Me.

I've already emailed Jared, though. He should know my preferences.
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyWed 03 Jan 2007, 10:19

... I'm trying to get an update on all outstanding applications.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 18:08

There is one more vacancy now that Magda has left Books so everyone who feels they could do a good job should contact Jared at Dooyoo.

It doesn't really matter if you don't know the vacancies 9although ot would eb help) just let Jared know what you would like to guide in and he'll keep you in mind if that category comes up to be filled.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 18:38

also kids and family will be free now too,.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 21:27

WendyBull wrote:
also kids and family will be free now too,.

Wow! That's quite an offer. I think I'll stick with my cats - some bargains aren't for me.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptyTue 09 Jan 2007, 11:11

ha ha, didn't see that when i wrote it! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
curious_tan

curious_tan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-07-24

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptySat 13 Jan 2007, 08:28

On the lighter side, people who got crowned were the ones that Ive nominated. lol!

Kidding aside, really most of them that Ive nominated got the crowns on that particular week.

So watch out for my nominations on your reviews. It is a potential royalty bearer! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.trivago.co.uk/member.php?&member=11883
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. EmptySat 13 Jan 2007, 13:24

Maybe you should aply to be a guide then as there are a few vacancies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.   WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE. Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT IS CROWN AND HOW DO YOU GET ONE.
Page 1 of 1