www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.

Go down 
+9
butters
sandemp
atticusuk
helencbradshaw
Angus
tractor-boy
jaggynettles
berlioz
Thingywhatsit
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. Empty
PostSubject: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 15:34

I gave this a great deal of thought. Of course, we like to think our reviews are good enough to be nominated and if people say "nominated" in comments, it doesn't necessarily mean they did nominate it, but one hopes. Looking at the way in which E ratings have spread so dramatically on ciao and I have even seen people exchanging E's is it not a better idea to keep your nominations private in case of people giving each other nominations willy nilly ? Not sure myself. What do other members think. I thought on ciao once that it would be a way of distinguishing which reviews you nominated and which actually got diamonds, but was advised very wisely that all it does is create havoc, in that people think it is said to get return ratings. What do other members think ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 15:56

I don't really know what it is, but I find it distasteful to write "Nominated" in the comments when I give out a nomination on any review. I've done it perhaps twice, but that's it. I don't know whether it could be construed as being hunting for return reads as that's not the way I go around Dooyoo, but I suppose it can be a possibility.

Still, as a personal preference, I like it that I don't know how many have nominated me. Just seems more worthwhile that people are by default not following others with the noms.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 16:13

I like the fact that DooYoo do not show who has nominated your review for crowns. I also like the fact it doesn't show how many nominations members have made in their user stats.

By doing this, nominations remain totally uninfluenced by other members and that's the way it should be.

Quote :
it doesn't necessarily mean they did nominate it
Quote :
people think it is said to get return ratings

Either you are very cynical, or I'm totally naive... undecided which yet Wink Laughing But if I thought for one minute that people thought I nominated (or said I nominated) to get return ratings I'd stop nominating altogether. And i can't understand why anyone would say they nominated if they didn't. That's just daft. So, as I can't decide whether you're a cynic or i'm just gullible, I think I'll just stop telling people when i nominate them from now on.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 16:22

We should have a poll on "how often do you nominate" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 19:34

Quote :
No you don't
So why be cynical with regards to a positive comment ?

I am not cynical really but saw the E growing from something rare to something huge and meaningless and would hate the nomination button to be used in the same way. Personally, I nominate and will leave a comment about how good the review is.
Back to top Go down
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 21:23

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I gave this a great deal of thought. Of course, we like to think our reviews are good enough to be nominated and if people say "nominated" in comments, it doesn't necessarily mean they did nominate it, but one hopes. Looking at the way in which E ratings have spread so dramatically on ciao and I have even seen people exchanging E's is it not a better idea to keep your nominations private in case of people giving each other nominations willy nilly ? Not sure myself. What do other members think. I thought on ciao once that it would be a way of distinguishing which reviews you nominated and which actually got diamonds, but was advised very wisely that all it does is create havoc, in that people think it is said to get return ratings. What do other members think ?

I cannot see the harm myself, because there is no 'E' button on Dooyoo there is little way of letting a writer know their review was a cut above the rest. There are no Com points for leaving a comment and as such there is little to be gained from trying to let someone know you really enjoyed a particular review.

I read on another forum that 80% of all reviews are nominated on Dooyoo, because of this there is a benchmark set so that reviews are not considered just because they gain 1 nomination.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 21:31

I hate it when people leave a comment like that on my work and also when I see it elsewhere as it kinda stinks of false praise you know?

There are very few good writers on any review site and when you see nominated on a half decent review it makes receiveing a crown somewhat less of an achievment than it is.

Humility perhaps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 21:38

Angus wrote:
I hate it when people leave a comment like that on my work and also when I see it elsewhere as it kinda stinks of false praise you know?

Nice to know you feel that way Angus. I guess we'll all steer clear of nominating your reviews from now on, yeh?

Some of your comments today suggest that you think the majority of reviews (and by default, the reviewers) are crap. Why do you still associate yourself with the site and the likes of us then?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 22:12

I never write "nominated" or words to that effect in comments. If people want to leave that on my reviews, then so be it, it doesn't change my subsequent behaviour towards them i.e. I don't actively go and read one back.

I agree with the notion that saying Excellent review can often imply the same thing anyway.

As for good writing, I don't particularly go reading to see who has been crowned for what, but given my own experience (having had aout 40 crowns in five years), I think many of my better reviews have been rewarded fairly. It's only a little bit of recognition after all, a bit like giving the team cakes on a Friday..in my mind as long as the review is relatively articulate and conveys useful information, then there is nothing wrong with giving it a crown. I think Members in general look for a lot more than the general public do!

(I speak from experience having consulted various review sites over the last few weeks for both hotel and electronic goods) . Dooyoo and Ciao were worse than useless!

Some quality "churning" of actual opinion on products which people actually bother to research, is what we really need :p
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 22:16

We all like getting nice comments and it wasn't really a gripe on my part to post this thread, but I would really be disturbed to find the nominated button pressed willy nilly on dooyoo simply because it is there. Of course if a review merits it, press it. The point I was trying to get across was that on ciao, the exceptional button gets misused, and I read somewhere that the nominated button does too to a certain degree and that they even have settings so that if too many people nominate, Dooyoo have control over it, which is more than ciao have !
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 22:22

The poll results, although a small sample do not correlate the 80% figure that's for sure, which is probably a relief, as there is plenty of OT and other low quality reviews on dooyoo, same as any other site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
marcelle

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 00:05

I hardly ever nominate review as most of them do not deserve a crown in my opinion. How ever the one review that I nominted for a crown last month did get one, so I think job done lol! and that was without even letting the revier know I had nominated
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 15:18

Angus wrote:

Humility perhaps?

Yeah but you are a total cynic (welcome back by the way) tongue Personally I always tell someone I have nominated them as it is genuine praise from me and signifies that the review was a lot better than any of the othe ones I have rated VU.

Having said that I rarely nominate and can go a couple of weeks without seeing anything worthy.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 17:49

I never say that I've nominated, for one thing I've seen that comment on reviews that simply don't cut it, and it sorta makes me think "what are you on?"
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyTue 28 Mar 2006, 00:00

i write it so they know they've been appreciated for their effort-not to get return reads. i comments and read to get return reds, but not for a crown, i just put in extra effort
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 17:21

i always leave a comment telling them if i nominate. I love to get that message personally whether I end up with a crown or not so presume others do too! xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 17:23

Not sure about this one at all. It could get to be like the E on ciao, where people use it to get ratings back. I think if I nominate, I like to go back and see if my nomination worked, but don't tell people because then there is the element of surprise. There is also the thing that a lot of people saying it might not actually nominate at all but say it to get good ratings out of you being kindly disposed towards them.
Back to top Go down
sugarnspice

sugarnspice

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 17:41

I don't like them. I find them icky and false. I'd rather not be told about nominations and i'd also like the 'good op' style comments banned. I'd much rather receive decent thought-out comments than those which appear to be all about the mutual backslapping. (all these comments may not be about mutual backslapping but that is the message given out by most of them)
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 18:40

Do you really think its a slap on the back to get a "good op" comment. Come on, it means they didn't read it half the time. I would rather get no comment than that one.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 19:06

WendyBull wrote:
i always leave a comment telling them if i nominate. I love to get that message personally whether I end up with a crown or not so presume others do too! xx

Yuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 20:47

Angus wrote:
WendyBull wrote:

Yuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

It is such a British thing not to be able to accept praise and also shows a certain amount of distaste and cynicism of and for other peoples opinions to only believe that any praise is merely an attempt to get a read in return.

I like to know if someone has nominated me, it does not make me any more likely to read their review than I would otherwise, the fact that they are active on the site is reason enough.
Back to top Go down
sugarnspice

sugarnspice

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 20:50

atticusuk wrote:

I like to know if someone has nominated me

But so many of those kinda comments soung really insincere. I have received 'nominated' comments on the rare occasion where I really felt it was an honest and unmotivated comment, but the majority of the time they sound icky. It's like when people end comments with things such as 'hugz n kissez' and the like. They just make me wanna barf Laughing
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 10:29

I think actually that peaople have become far too cynical of the meaning of stuff, or I am very naive.

I never write "nominated" on a reiew unless I think it is genuinely worth a crown. I don't expect a return read, rate, nomination from that person at all.

It might be YUK to some people to get that comment but I really like to see it, it makes me feel a sense of achievement and a little hope that I'll get another £1.50 lol.

I have occasionally nominated without leaving a comment but felt after that I wish I had left one, so I usually do now!

Are you still writing on dooyoo Angus? I haven't seen any of your reviews on there, what name do you go by?
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 12:49

jaggynettles wrote:
Angus wrote:

Nice to know you feel that way Angus. I guess we'll all steer clear of nominating your reviews from now on, yeh?

Some of your comments today suggest that you think the majority of reviews (and by default, the reviewers) are crap. Why do you still associate yourself with the site and the likes of us then?

Just notice this so a reply is called for methinks.

I do think the majority of reviews are crap as that is how they come over to me. I am not saying my reviews don't come over as crap to someone else, it means very little to me to get praise off someone and then read a 100 word SU review to find the same "praise" comment on it. It is false. I am not saying all praise is false, but a lot of times it is meaningless and pointless. I would rather have someone criticise my work and say why than praise without structure.

Why do I bother with you lot? Because I am one of you lot and have been for over 5 years and despite my somewhat cynical views, I do like some of the reviews and some of the people.

Maybe I am just harder to please than others no?
Back to top Go down
Nar

Nar

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-19

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 12:52

I dont mind it really. Whether or not the person has been honest in nominating the review doesn't create a major drama hovering over me in delight. Proof comes at the end of the month (or whenever) when a shiny gold crown appears.

I think the reason that people put "Nominated!!" or similar, is to either:

1) TRULY appear to have nominated the review or:

2) Can't be bothered to write a decent comment

But also, because there is no viewable section on Dooyoo which has a guestbook - you have to visit a different section - of which I haven't because I like Dooyoo's simplicity, I also think that people put "nominated" to cover the aspect of putting a personal comment into a guestbook in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.   SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS. Empty

Back to top Go down

SAYING YOU HAVE NOMINATED IN COMMENTS.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next