www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)

Go down 
+4
helencbradshaw
Angus
Thingywhatsit
butters
8 posters

When you read reviews do you:
Read every review thoroughly
People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_lcap35%People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_rcap
 35% [ 7 ]
Skim Read every review
People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_lcap5%People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Depends on the subject
People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_lcap60%People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Vote_rcap
 60% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Empty
PostSubject: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyMon 27 Mar 2006, 23:29

I've added this because whilst writing my Review, i clicked to post it and no more than 20 seconds had gone by-probably less when i got to my dooyoo page and noticed someone had already rated it. I've noticed it loads and notice the ones that do it never seem to leave a comment because they've not read it. I thought a mascara review would be boring so i read it. I read and if they don't they're getting readers for no reason so i refuse to read theirs. If they at least skimread it would be a little more acceptable

[Edit by Admin - generalised - don't point to specific reviews.]
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyWed 29 Mar 2006, 18:15

Naughty naughty-the point of dooyoo is to read to review and grade-not done too well is it if you skim it. geek
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 30 Mar 2006, 15:49

Thats a terrible score. I take it that most people answered tongue firmly in cheek but if they did not it is indeed worrying that almost half the people that answered the poll said they skim.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 30 Mar 2006, 15:55

Let me speak out then.

I skim read most reviews as they do not interest me and I need to at least skim read them to justify a rating.

If whilst skim reading I notice something wrong or something that catches my eye, I read it more thoruoghly.

I normaly give up after the firtsd paragraph though as most reviews (90% at least) are pretty naff and if evryone was honest, they would have their own figure but it would not be a million miles from this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 31 Mar 2006, 00:29

Someone skims them all? If i ever did skim read it would be on a boring topic but when i read them i still tend to read fully-just a BIT faster.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 31 Mar 2006, 01:23

Skim reading is not always bad. Slow deliberate reading is not necessarily best. Students have been doing it for years. You can pay thousands just to learn how to do it so you can become a good manager who can assimilate lots of information quickly, in theory anyway.

Opinion sites are obsessed with this idea that skim reading is bad in my opinion. NOT reading is naughty, skim reading means you can read quickly! I can skim the Sundays and still have a good idea of what is going on in the world after all. I defy anyone who says they never skim reviews on opinion sites!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptySat 01 Apr 2006, 01:53

I'm not saying its bad but to skim read all is bad-some i feel you should thoroughly read-especially if you noominate it.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyMon 03 Apr 2006, 18:32

Angus wrote:
Let me speak out then.

I skim read most reviews as they do not interest me and I need to at least skim read them to justify a rating.

If whilst skim reading I notice something wrong or something that catches my eye, I read it more thoruoghly.

I normaly give up after the firtsd paragraph though as most reviews (90% at least) are pretty naff and if evryone was honest, they would have their own figure but it would not be a million miles from this one.

Ditto for me, I usually read travel and book reviews in their entirety (unless it is a Pagett book) as this isan area of interest but given some of the blatant padding on some reviews skimming allows me to give an appropraite rating as I usually pick ouyt the main points and to be honest opening and conclusion should be enough to tell me most of what I need to know and to be able to decide to read the detail.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyTue 04 Apr 2006, 20:55

hey butters, finally got on over here too. I admit I do skim read some reviews, although obviously not yours!, but only if they are things I'm not really interested in. If I nominate a review it is becasue i have read it in its entirety and found it exceptionally helpful. xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 10:18

I use review sites as refference books in a way, look up the factual bit, never read the intro to the book and often just go to the index first.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyWed 05 Apr 2006, 10:23

I think I do the same thing for films really, but am often disappointed with what I read because it doesn't tell me what I want to know more often than not.
Back to top Go down
Nar

Nar

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-19

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 12:56

I skim but then I also read! Skimming is useful for normal people who go off and rate immediately after but with my Dyslexia I was taught to skim first and then read so that all the info gets read in one go.

When it comes to particular subjects on Dooyoo it is easy to think "to hell with it," and press the first available button to rate the review, but Ive come across a lot of reviews where the first introductory paragraph tells me 75% of what the review is about to tell me.
Back to top Go down
badcompa

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 15:32

I read and if it gets boring I skim, if it gets really long and dull I just naff off ...... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 06 Apr 2006, 20:22

If a review is long and boring, chances are that it will not hold the consumers attention any more than it held yours. Try and look at it as a possible consumer Art and if you think its too longwinded then give it a rating that reflects that.
Back to top Go down
badcompa

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 07 Apr 2006, 12:23

Oh I always leave a rating before I naff off, I am not one of these read and not rate crowd Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 07 Apr 2006, 12:41

Your reviews are so short there is no point skimming them.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 07 Apr 2006, 13:04

Ha ! not sure who that was aimed at Angus, but sometimes some reviews are too long to be of help too.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 13:15

I learnt to speed/skim read years ago and as I read so many dry archaic books for research purposes I tend to read that way as a matter of course. That said I tend to only read reviews that are either of a product that i think will be of interest or by a writer that i know makes a subject worth reading. So rather I guess rather than skim read everything I tend to read fewer reviews but are more selective.

Often a review will start off well and then lose its way and then i may skim to the end..guilty. It all depends on what you mean by skimming. There is an art to speed reading as it doesnt mean that you are not picking up the required information and you can still get a feel for the grammar, layout and style of a review. If on the other hand skimming means just nipping to the end to leave a rate then thats not so good, but you could argue that on a site like Dooyoo where just getting a hit is what the system is based on, then maybe it is to be expected.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyThu 13 Apr 2006, 23:23

i agree with badcompany77-start out reading and if youre not interested you skim. i skim some but try to read as many as possible-i still skim some though. Some writers that i think are excellent though or know (my cousins and some other readers who constantly read mine like wendybull)-i read them all because i find that some reviews may be good even if youre not interested in the topic-and if they are like that-they deserve a reward. I skim read for revision so i know its not bad-my 2nd comment 'naughty naughty' was a bit of a joke. I have to say i disagree if you skim them al though
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 18:00

Thingywhatsit wrote:
If a review is long and boring, chances are that it will not hold the consumers attention any more than it held yours. Try and look at it as a possible consumer Art and if you think its too longwinded then give it a rating that reflects that.

I've got some ofthose recently. Not complaining though, i'd have done the same. I said to my family people would say it was too long. It needed humour
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)   People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters) Empty

Back to top Go down

People who rate reviews without reading-(by butters)
Page 1 of 1