www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rating options in the Ciao Cafe

Go down 
4 posters

How should the cafe opinions be rated?
The same as product/service reviews?
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap38%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 38% [ 5 ]
With a different rating guideline?
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap23%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
No rating but the ability to leave a comment?
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap31%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Other? Please mention below...
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap0%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The cafe should be abolished altogether?
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap8%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
Any other suggestions...
Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_lcap0%Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
kelr101

kelr101

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2006-03-06

Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Empty
PostSubject: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 12:54

Many people feel that the cafe section of Ciao should be treated differently to the product/service side of Ciao. With this in mind should a recommendation/proposal be submitted to Ciao asking them to review their rating system on this side of the fence.

Perhaps remove the rates altogether and only leave the option to comment?

Have an alternate style of rating - for example with the more humourous side? Funny, dull, I fell of my chair laughing?

Let me know what you think - I'm genuinely interested.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 12:57

I don't think that rating is appropriate and if there were no rating system on cafe reviews, then many who write for points would stop. Genuine people that want genuine feedback would continue.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
kelr101

kelr101

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:00

I agree - most people who write in the cafe, especially those writing in the creative section, and looking for constructive comments, and helpful feedback.

They don't want the story, that they have poured their heart and soul into given a SH.

At least with a comment they can build on their work rather than be faced with a demoralising strike against their name
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:02

It may also stop the eternal name a ciao star type reviews that are becoming more and more at the same time.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:18

I would like to see it abolished from the site or set up completely seperately. There certainly should not be a ratings option.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
kelr101

kelr101

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:22

Abolishment works - but as in creating a seperate stand alone section away from product/service reviews.

Least then we could be free of inane categories if we so wished!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 14:14

I wrote to ciao about a year ago asking about inane categories, and saying that if members decided that they didn't care about their review being deleted from an inane category, could ciao then get rid of the categories, and they really were not interested and commented that what is inane to one member is not to another, so I don'\t see them making any big changes here.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 18:37

I don't think the rating structure itself needs to change.

The cafe needs to change.

There probably ought to be a tightening of categories and fewer challenges but that is member behaviour more than anything.

Member rating will differ as to how to rate in the cafe, exactly the same way that it does for products and services, but I personally don't see anything wrong with giving an E rating to something in the cafe, for example, when technically it cannot be awarded a diamond.

Equally I don't agree with raters who never give more than H for cafe articles; as their rating "policy", just because it is a cafe piece. It seems a bit mean spirited to me. I appreciate members may not like the rubbish which is in the cafe at times, and it is usually the chumminess stuff which is the worse, but no-one forces us to read it either!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 18:47

Quote :
Equally I don't agree with raters who never give more than H for cafe articles; as their rating "policy", just because it is a cafe piece. It seems a bit mean spirited to me. I appreciate members may not like the rubbish which is in the cafe at times, and it is usually the chumminess stuff which is the worse, but no-one forces us to read it either!

I would agree with that under the present rating system that it really is not fair to label all cafe reviews H simply because they are in the cafe. Having any rating agenda before reading any review from wherever on the site is wrong and assumes reviews will all be of the same standard, which of course, they clearly are not.
Back to top Go down
kelr101

kelr101

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:11

I rate cafe reviews on their writing ability, humour, sensitivity or not rate at all....but I never rate H just because.

That's why I feel the cafe should have a different rating guideline because they are not like product/service reviews. How can you say someone's challenge on what's in their bag has been VH or E...it should be a different guideline altogether. More of a writing challenge area than a reveal all section
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:13

Quote :
That's why I feel the cafe should have a different rating guideline because they are not like product/service reviews. How can you say someone's challenge on what's in their bag has been VH or E...it should be a different guideline altogether. More of a writing challenge area than a reveal all section

I would tend to agree with you but it's a difficult one. I made the mistake of revealing too much about my life on a website. Not a good idea at all, however, there are instances where a review of something that has happened in your life can be of great help to others on the internet seeking advice. For example, one I wrote on a particular illness was well received and read by non members and I feel contributed something positive.
Back to top Go down
kelr101

kelr101

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:17

that's all well and good if u want to write about yourself, or experiences....but I don't think these personal life experiences should be then subjected to a NH or SH if someone doesn't agree. How horrific that could be to someone who has just bared their soul??

Ratings should not be the same as in the product/service section, if there at all.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:20

Quote :
that's all well and good if u want to write about yourself, or experiences....but I don't think these personal life experiences should be then subjected to a NH or SH if someone doesn't agree. How horrific that could be to someone who has just bared their soul??

I thoroughly agree and sometimes have had the same dilemma. The review was maybe H at best, but perhaps more H to the writer than those reading, and in those circumstances, I tend not to rate, but comment as I feel fit for the review.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:21

I agree an NH or an SH would be cruel. I would probably just not rate in those cases if I felt I could not rate higher, but I might still leave a comment.

However I would not the not rate to be the standard, as many reviews in the cafe are worth rating, regardless of what the rating actually is.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:24

Quote :
However I would not the not rate to be the standard, as many reviews in the cafe are worth rating, regardless of what the rating actually is.

Eh ? Am I having a grey moment ? Didn't understand that.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:29

I will try again......sorry!

I don't think the cafe should be a comment only area with no option to rate (as per the poll options) as most of the time, I find it easy enough to rate in the cafe!

Note to self: Proof read your postings before you submit them!
Back to top Go down
kelr101

kelr101

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 19:34

See I differ completely here and find it very hard sometimes to rate.

Why should someones review on "whats in my bag" be VH/E to me? means nothing, and to be honest I don't really care.

But it cares to others, and I'm not going to be subjected to a ciao hate campaign for rating it H or lower when the points mean bugger all on a cafe rating anyway. So I'd rather just comment.

To me - cafe reviews should be creative and enjoyable, where I can rate/comment on a raters flair, style, grammar etc etc
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 23:03

I take your point, but then if you don't care there is no need to read them! I have to be in the mood for cafe reviews at the best of times.

Equally you can rate it how you like, I don't think that would mean you would be subjected to a hate campaign..! (Or at least I hope it would not) No-one should feel compelled to rate either, even if they have read a review and even if they comment.

Sometimes cafe reviews can be funny and entertaining, and while I agree the description of rating "helpful" etc might not be entirely appropriate (but might be appropriate for some cafe reviews), in the list of things Ciao needs to focus its attention on, that would be low down for me, and the effort they would need to reprogram the whole cafe side with some other description or no rating doesn't seem merited.

I don't see the value in a proposal to Ciao for something that can be done already if the reader chooses to. (I am having problems forming sentences tonight, just had to write an epic email, which took me about 5 hours to wordsmith so bear with me!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rating options in the Ciao Cafe   Rating options in the Ciao Cafe Empty

Back to top Go down

Rating options in the Ciao Cafe
Page 1 of 1