www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do guides get to be guides.

Go down 
+6
Mum52
jaggynettles
Jill Murphy
DanielsMother
dididave
Thingywhatsit
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

How do guides get to be guides. Empty
PostSubject: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 10:47

What happens when a member asks to be a guide ? Whats the procedure ? Does anyone know how it works ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:07

I found out there were empty categories on the Guide page (which at the moment is admittedly woefull out of date!) and sent dooyoo an email which was replied to in due course. Guides are then approached to check they have no major issues with that particular member (otherwise how else can we work as a team). If the majority is in favour or have no major complaints then the member is accepted as a Guide providing dooyoo staff believe the member is an experienced and proven contributor to the site.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
DanielsMother

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:17

When they first had guides, they emailed me and asked me to be a guide, even though I was at Ciao more than Dooyoo so I said no.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 11:28

Quote :
Guides are then approached to check they have no major issues with that particular member

But what happens if they do ?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 12:44

Then they don't become Guides. Simple really, as a group we have to feel happy that everyone has the same objectives, aims and hopes for the site as well as ensuring we are all capable and knowledgeable enough to guide our topics. If we are unsure of members motivations or abilities then dooyoo staff respect that and it take it on board. Ultimately, the decision is still theirs but if the majority of Guides are against a member joining then it is unlikely that member will become a Guide.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 13:20

I understand the teamwork thing entirely, but my worry is that this method of recruiting is biased against people that for some reason guides do not like. Do you consider this a fair way of chosing Guides ?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 13:29

Its democratic enough for me as the majority vote counts and from a practical point of view it is essential that Guides get along. I can't think of a fairer way???
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 14:27

What about if a member wanted to become a guide and there was any animosity shown towards that member becoming one, people were to be more open minded and suggest that they give that member a trial period to see how they perform. Is that not more in keeping with fairness ? and would that not achieve a nice change-over of guides as well at the same time ?
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:07

Dooyoo might well be idiots, but if A N Other guide can't produce sensible reasons to 'blackball' another member becoming a guide (as you seem to be suggesting is possible, Rachel, gosh you're such an anti-Dooyoo conspiracy theorist, aren't you?!) aside from 'I don't like them' - do you REALLY think Dooyoo would take any notice? Get a grip woman!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:10

Quote :
gosh you're such an anti-Dooyoo conspiracy theorist

No I am not an anti Dooyoo conspiracy theorist. I just wanted to know how it happens. About six months ago, I wrote and asked about guide positions. There seemed to be loads available, and I was not even sent a reply. I wondered how guides are chosen and what one needs to do to be considered.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:20

Well, not even the guides know how Dooyoo decide from the applicants they get, Rachel. All that happens is (I assume) that Dooyoo get applicants, decide which ones they like the look of, and then put a message up on the guide group saying, "Unless you guys know something we don't, we think X would be a good guide for category Y. Ok with you?"

It's the equivalent of the priest saying, "Unless anyone knows of a lawful objection" at a wedding.

Guides are NOT a part of the selection process.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:23

Quote :
Guides are NOT a part of the selection process.

But if that is true, why ask the Guides ? Surely they can see for themselves by member participation if that member is a fit member to become a guide. I am not labouring the point, but really want to understand it and have been asked by other member who wish to become guides how it works, so feel the thread will be a useful pointer for them.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:26

Because the guides are aware of current conflicts/tensions/yaddas on the site in a way the staffers aren't? Because Dooyoo like to take heed of community feelings and do this through their guides? Because they probably wouldn't like to appoint a very unpopular member for example, as a guide and cause bad feelings amongst the rank and file? It's called member participation and consultation. You like it on Ciao. Why don't you like it on Dooyoo?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:29

Quote :
Because they probably wouldn't like to appoint a very unpopular member

Unpopular with whom ?

Quote :
It's called member participation and consultation. You like it on Ciao. Why don't you like it on Dooyoo?

I suppose I see it as a bit of a closed shop. It's not the members that get their say. It's the guides. Yes, they can gauge their judgement on site atmostphere and personality differences, but can they chose objectively if they have their own bias against a particular member ?
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:42

As I say, get a grip woman! You're seeing conspiracies because you want to see them. Why? For heaven's sakes. The moon landing was a hoax, you know. Dooyoo's been readying itself for years against you, Rachel. They have. They've got the guides all sitting there, organising conspiracies all over the place. Deary, deary me. Ciao operate a far more secretive system and always have. Look at the PF. Look at the weird ways they approach abuse. Dooyoo, at least, make efforts to include member views in their decisions. It isn't a conspiracy to stop people with 500 people on alerts being top dog! Gordon bleedin' Waters!

I once objected (and this is around four years ago, and all participants save me are long gone, so I'm not naming and shaming as nobody here will be able to work out who I mean) to a person Dooyoo suggested as a guide. The person had applied. To Dooyoo, they looked like a great candidate. They had huge expertise in the category. Every other review they wrote got a crown. They upheld the site's rating standards. To Dooyoo, they looked great. But what Dooyoo didn't know was that this person had a lot of arguments on site. And in one particular argument, they'd gone off site, found out private information about the person they were arguing with and used it to threaten them. Is THAT the sort of person you'd want as a guide on site, Rachel?

It's not a conspiracy. It's a sensible precaution designed by staffers to help the members the get the best from the site.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:43

Admin wrote:
Quote :
Because they probably wouldn't like to appoint a very unpopular member

Unpopular with whom ?

Quote :
It's called member participation and consultation. You like it on Ciao. Why don't you like it on Dooyoo?

I suppose I see it as a bit of a closed shop. It's not the members that get their say. It's the guides. Yes, they can gauge their judgement on site atmostphere and personality differences, but can they chose objectively if they have their own bias against a particular member ?

But would member selection not lead to one big popularity contest? Who would you call objective? There is of course no such thing.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:49

Quote :
Is THAT the sort of person you'd want as a guide on site, Rachel?

In those circumstances I thoroughly agree with you. Again not naming the system of guides on ciao was questionable at best, and I believe that a fairer system of guides now would be a wise move on ciao's part but they are not interested in anything that consumes any of their time and are too shortsighted to see that in the long run a decent guide system would actually save them time. They are so blinded to suggestions as well.

I do see the logic in what you say about members getting a say, and am talking conspiracy here, but the members that dooyoo listen to are the guides that are chosen, not ordinary members who don't even get replies.

Both sites have their ups and downs. Ciao is promising prizes that no one seems to get. At least dooyoo do give the prizes they claim to. I like both sites. I like the money I earn on Dooyoo, and the community feel of ciao, though both to my mind have flaws.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:54

Quote :
the members that dooyoo listen to are the guides that are chosen, not ordinary members who don't even get replies

Yes, but all the more blinkin' reason to choose them well, then, Rachel, for heaven's sakes. You have to change this prejudice of yours if you're to enjoy Dooyoo for what it is. Status is not important there as it is on Ciao. Guides aren't the members with status, as the posh dots are the members with status on Ciao. You have to understand and accept this difference or you'll be forever imagining conspiracies against you on the site. It's horses for courses. Guides aren't the elite. They're the bloody gofers! I mean, here we are, trying to explain things, aren't we? There's Sandra and Dave being unbelievably patient while you try to raise as many ridiculous conspiracy theories as you can. It's well known thee and me don't get along. But here I am, trying to explain things. You know as well as I do that I don't really want to be here. But it's incumbent upon me as a guide for Dooyoo to try to set members straight.

Guiding doesn't give you status. It gives you a lot of pain-in-the-arse things to do.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 15:57

Quote :
Guiding doesn't give you status. It gives you a lot of pain-in-the-arse things to do.

I realise that but I have the time to do those pain in the arse things and get no reply. Why ?
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:01

See? There you go again! What are you saying now? You don't like the guiding system at Dooyoo for the sole reason that they won't let YOU be one?! How do you even know they won't let you? We have several guiding positions available. I'm sure there are a few applicants swimming about. But guides have only been asked about one person for some considerable time and that person became a guide recently. Can't give you info on any of the other categories or applicants.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:02

Is it ok to say that was you we were asked about, Debbie?!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:03

I like to have a guide system. It works well. The only thing that bothers me is lack of any kind of response from Dooyoo concerning becoming one.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:08

Yes indeed it does seem to be a long drawn out process. I initially sent my email via a guide, and heard nothing at all. I shall keep trying.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:14

Quote :
I just got a mail from Anne saying my photo and blurb will be added in the near future so the guide list that is up will still be out of date for a bit longer

Hope you sent one decently clad !!

On topic: I shall wait and see if I get a reply.
Back to top Go down
DanielsMother

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:17

If Rachel wants to be a guide she should be answering the questions instead of asking them. I don't think you'd make a good guide. Sorry hun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. Empty

Back to top Go down

How do guides get to be guides.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next