www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do guides get to be guides.

Go down 
+6
Mum52
jaggynettles
Jill Murphy
DanielsMother
dididave
Thingywhatsit
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:18

Aw thanks for the vote of confidence.

sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
DanielsMother

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:22

Crying or Very sad Sorry. A guide should be guiding not being guided. This is why dots are good.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:52

sirg0508 wrote:
I just got a mail from Anne saying my photo and blurb will be added in the near future so the guide list that is up will still be out of date for a bit longer.

D Smile

Ooh missus ... i see you'll be guiding us in a things "beauty"-full. Well done! Smile
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:55

DanielsMother wrote:
Crying or Very sad Sorry. A guide should be guiding not being guided. This is why dots are good.
Dots are evil. They are misleading, encourage churning of crap reviews and have no place on DooYoo. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 16:58

Quote :
Dots are evil. They are misleading, encourage churning of crap reviews and have no place on DooYoo. But that's just my opinion.

Quite right too.
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 18:38

jaggynettles wrote:
DanielsMother wrote:
... A guide should be guiding not being guided. ...
... (dots) are misleading, encourage churning of crap reviews ...
I think I agree with both points, but I'd also be very worried if a guide thought they knew everything.

One way of helping other people out is to ask questions, and make it look as if you don't know the answer yourself especially on a forum where some people may be reluctant to say anything and may only be looking for answers.

Congrats Sirg. cheers
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 18:40

Quote :
One way of helping other people out is to ask questions, and make it look as if you don't know the answer yourself especially on a forum where some people may be reluctant to say anything and may only be looking for answers.

Recognition at last !!! Whoopee ! sunny
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 19:39

Whoa! Are you saying you pretend not to know or understand things, Rachel, to achieve your aims without people realising what your aims are, and that this kind of duplicity is a GOOD thing? Is that why you pretend not to understand every single explanation posted by people on your site about Dooyoo? You really can't stand it there, can you?

One imagines staffers read this forum. One also imagines that watching someone using a knife under Dooyoo's fifth rib at every possible opportunity isn't going to put them to the top of a staffer's list of possible guides to promote the site and improve it.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I can't believe you just said that! Ho hum. More pain-in-the-arse moments in my personal career as a guide. I've just wasted half an afternoon posting on here in the belief that you're a bit ditzy and stupid, but now I find out it's all an act anyway. Charming. Gah.

People, listen up. Rachel doesn't want you to prefer Dooyoo to Ciao because it doesn't suit her. She's not saying exactly why.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 19:49

Quote :
Are you saying you pretend not to know or understand things, Rachel

No, I am saying that at least someone recognises that my misunderstanding and your explanation might actually be of use to someone that reads the thread.

Quote :
One imagines staffers read this forum. One also imagines that watching someone using a knife under Dooyoo's fifth rib at every possible opportunity isn't going to put them to the top of a staffer's list of possible guides to promote the site and improve it.

I don't know that I do stab Dooyoo in the back as a site. I actually think they work a darned sight harder than ciao do to put things right and pay a lot more. Why should both sites not be seen as separate issues, which in fact they are instead of always comparing ?

Quote :
I can't believe you just said that! Ho hum.

I said it in a bantering way to a member I am accustomed to bantering with. Sorry it was misunderstood.

Quote :
Rachel doesn't want you to prefer Dooyoo to Ciao because it doesn't suit her. She's not saying exactly why

I don't care which site is whichever members favourite site. It makes no difference to me as a user at all. Everyone has their own choices and I think that their choices are valid to them. Why would it not suit me ?
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 22:46

I'm sorry Embarassed I was in a hurry and used the wrong words. Nobody is going to ask a question if they already know the answer.

Surely if any of the staff or management from Dooyoo reads questions here they will realise that some people don't understand how things work on their site and will make the effort to simplify or explain things.

But the question is about how somebody can become a guide, and it looks as if the guides can reject somebody Dooyoo might think is a good choice, is that right?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 09:24

Mum52 wrote:

I'm sorry Embarassed I was in a hurry and used the wrong words. Nobody is going to ask a question if they already know the answer.

Surely if any of the staff or management from Dooyoo reads questions here they will realise that some people don't understand how things work on their site and will make the effort to simplify or explain things.

But the question is about how somebody can become a guide, and it looks as if the guides can reject somebody Dooyoo might think is a good choice, is that right?

Yes but dooyoo staff are still the ones who ultimately make the decision. At the end of the day they are not going to make someone a Guide who the majority of Guides cannot work with for whatever reason. This is simply good sense. If a member believes their application has been unfairly rejected then they should contact dooyoo explaining there feelings on the matter. I still think there is no better way to do it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 09:55

It's also worth stopping to think a bit more deeply. There are what? A dozen guides? I'm one of them. Of the others, the only ones I have any kind of private contact with at all are Sue Magee and Magda - and I think I'd be a bit of a saddo if I talked about guiding with them when I talk to them privately, as friends. The subject of guiding doesn't come up. We have far more interesting things to talk about. It ISN'T some kind of private club or cabal.

How do you think a suitble guide applicant could possibly be unfairly disadvantaged under this system? Do you think that if A N Other guide, ok, let's say me, Jill Murphy....

Dooyoo Staffer: I would like to offer Mum52 the position of Guide for the Anorak category.

Jill Murphy: I don't like her.

Dooyoo Staffer: Ok then, Mum 52 doesn't get the job.

Does that sound realistic to you?! Of course it isn't. The system is set up so that on the very few times the staffer gets it wrong it goes like this:

Dooyoo Staffer: I would like to offer Satan the position of Guide for the Going To Heaven category.

Jill Murphy: Um... erk... are you aware that Satan is on Satan's second account? A previous incumbent of your job deleted them for having fake accounts and for aggressive behaviour towards other members. There's still an amount of bad feeling on the site over that though. It's up to you, but the appointment could well cause bad feeling.

Dooyoo Staffer: Oh. I didn't know that. Everybody else? Is this right?

Other Guides: 'Fraid so, yep.

Dooyoo Staffer: Er... we'll forget that appointment then.

The system is set up to HELP other members get the best from the site, not to have favourites. Why would you think a staffer is so stupid they couldn't distinguish between those two instances?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 11:26

Quote :
The system is set up to HELP other members get the best from the site, not to have favourites. Why would you think a staffer is so stupid they couldn't distinguish between those two instances?

Honestly ? Because of the guides available, I believe that they have preconceptions about who I am as a person. Honestly. That's my view. Don't head butt me for it, but I believe that. History shows this to be so.
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 12:16

Gosh, this new site seems to be a bit buggy, I'm sure I posted a comment here.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 13:34

You did - and for the record - I thought it was very funny... which is probably why someone deleted it. Cool
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 14:10

Thankee very much. Very Happy

I shall try not to be amusing in future, it is clearly outlawed by the fun police.

Remember chaps, FLUFF ISN'T FUNNY. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 14:47

More or less back on topic...here's a question.

What do you think makes a good guide? What do you think a guide should do? Should a guide be knowledgeable in the topic in which he or she guides? How knowledgable? Expert? Keen amateur?

How much time should a guide spend on Dooyoo?

I'm just asking these a hypothetical questions, just to get some discussion of a non-personal nature going Smile
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 16:44

Hurrah !! Just got a reply from dooyoo and that was all I expected saying that there are no guide positions available and that if one comes up, they will consider my "petition". Not sure what that means but if there are no guide positions available, then that's another thing entirely.
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 16:45

That's great news and you'll be the best guide ever.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 16:48

Aw thanks for that vote of confidence. I shall work hard towards that aim. That's all a girl can do.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Mar 2006, 15:39

Ok. I take it all back. It seems that individual guides ARE able to blackball guide applicants on the basis of pure personal dislike, even when a candidate has already been offered the job. I'm flabbergasted.

Rachel, I apologise for suggesting that such a thing couldn't happen. It could.

Could you please remove my name from the guide list on the forum. I've just resigned.
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Mar 2006, 15:42

Yeah, I wanted someone specific to take over as Film Guide when I stepped down and they weren't having any of it. Not to diss anyone's work in the role but it was kind of pathetic.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Mar 2006, 15:44

Jill Murphy wrote:
Ok. I take it all back. It seems that individual guides ARE able to blackball guide applicants on the basis of pure personal dislike, even when a candidate has already been offered the job. I'm flabbergasted.

What happened?
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Mar 2006, 15:49

I can't tell you as there's a naming and shaming rule on this forum.

Here's my resigning email to the group:

Quote :
I think it's absolutely OUTRAGEOUS to offer a position and then withdraw the offer on the basis of Johnny-Come-Lately tantrums on this group. This group has had months and months and months to state their objections to these two particular candidates.

I'm offski.

Resigning as guide and as member of this forum.

Please remove me at once, Anne.

Bye all.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Mar 2006, 16:03

I am not sure I understand what has happened here and cannot really comment without knowing facts, which of course are not encouraged on this forum. I feel that taking the issue up with dooyoo may be a better way to go here, but thanks for keeping us updated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do guides get to be guides.   How do guides get to be guides. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How do guides get to be guides.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next