www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Requests to read

Go down 
+8
atticusuk
Essexgirl
Ailran
scream4bruce
Ciao's Favourite Member
helencbradshaw
Minnitee
koshkha
12 posters
AuthorMessage
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 02:45

I've been getting quite a few requests to read other people's reviews in my guest book and - unless they are from people I have already got to know - they really *Bad word* me off.

I can see why people do this - just this week someone got themselves to the top of the 'most read' list by spamming just about every other member on a review that most of us wouldn't have given a second glance.

I was under the impression that this sort of thing was not allowed on Ciao - am I right or wrong?

What's the best response?
- ignore them,
- polite response saying you don't appreciate that sort of message,
- report to Ciao abuse (and if so, under what category).

I'd be interested to know what other RWF members would do. I've just ignored it for now.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 03:24

koshkha wrote:

just this week someone got themselves to the top of the 'most read' list by spamming just about every other member on a review that most of us wouldn't have given a second glance.

I got the same message and got a little annoyed myself, actually I was very annoyed.

I normally ignore requests for reads and if they got me on the wrong foot (which could be most days) I report them to Ciao Abuse.

I most certainly DO NOT read or rate the review they ask me to read.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 10:42

I don't like these either...I might ignore, I might leave a message or I might read it though! If I do read it I normally do leave a message saying that messages are not the done thing
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 12:20

Spamming GBs and touting for reads are both against Ciao's rules, based on past experiences. You could report them under either of these rules breaches.
Back to top Go down
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 14:48

Request that they read the Terms and Conditions carefully 47 times.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 15:07

I just ignore them completely and would probably never read anything they ever right from then onwards, no matter how interested I would be in it!

I have found recently that reporting people to Ciao is just a waste of time as they never do anything about it. A recent complaint about a revenge rating has been ignored so many times that as part of the complaint i do every week i know put in 'read the comment they left on my review' Smile
Back to top Go down
Essexgirl

Essexgirl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 17:27

If it someone I 'know' I tend to read, but I won't read a random stranger just becasue they posted in my GB. If they took the time to read and rate one of mine whilst they were in the vicinity I might consider it. Although I probably would go to their review list and choose a different review to read if something appealed.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 18:13

Ailran wrote:

I have found recently that reporting people to Ciao is just a waste of time as they never do anything about it.

Not so I regularly report Aaron just for a laugh and they always take action. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 19:36

I've been getting more and more pleas lately from people asking me to read their reviews or add them to my cot. I usually ignore them, although really I should warn them that asking is against the sites T&C's. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
susie19

susie19

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-02-17

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 19:51

[quote="Minnitee"]
koshkha wrote:

just this week someone got themselves to the top of the 'most read' list by spamming just about every other member on a review that most of us wouldn't have given a second glance.

Well maybe Ciao have acted, as one such account has disappeared.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 20:08

Yep. The Ciao-bots really pulled off a surprise bit of action there. It seemed a bit harsh to me to delete the person but I suppose they have to be consistent. I'm guessing there must have been a lot of complaints.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 20:08

One has disappeared has it, maybe I should go back and see if they have done something about my revenge rates this time around then lol!
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 01:48

Good to hear some action taken. I don't have much sympathy for spammers like this, especially when they revel in such bad-spirited activites. I generally ignore these transparent pleas, but remember them well enough to not read their reviews. I'm a mean SoB when i want to be.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 21:27

Yeah I noticed that one such account had gone, if it is youthful (in Ciao years) exuberance then a polite reminder should suffice rather than deletion but if it is a serial abuser they they are right to delete the account.
Back to top Go down
jo145

jo145

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2006-03-06

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 17:00

Ciao is BIG BROTHER after all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Requests to read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Requests to read   Requests to read Empty

Back to top Go down

Requests to read
Page 1 of 1