www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you have to do to get a crown?

Go down 
+12
tractor-boy
Mauri
drewboy
plipplop
Cerberus
WendyBull
butters
atticusuk
Thingywhatsit
jaggynettles
COOOEEE
dididave
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 20:02

jaggynettles wrote:
Back on topic though - i think to get a crown a review must be primarily about personal experience, comparisons, benefits, disadvantages etc and not - "the product contains...", "the packaging looks like..." etc etc.

There are many reviews that get rated VU and U on DooYoo which could easily have been written without the reviewer ever having come into contact with the product / service / subject. These critters are not worthy and thankfully I've never seen one crowned yet.

Yeah for me a crown worthy review should be all about the experience and personal opinion. I am put off almost immediately by any review that starts Company History or Packaging. If you are going to include these things there better be a bloody good reason!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 11:50

To be honest I find that I get most crowns when I write about the topics that I'm most passionate about which is travel and diving. This is beacuse I have strong opinions and in the case of diving I'm probably the only active writer at the moment although it comes under the sports category.

I write a lot about the books I read but that is a competitive area with a lot of very good writers and I'm amazed if I ever crown in that category, the same would go with DVD reviews where there is a lot of material although the quality is variable.

I did read that before he left Seb had introduced a filter system as so many reviews were getting nominated that there was a minimum number required before they looked at them, I'm not sure if that is still the case.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 27 Mar 2006, 23:20

Always see in my comments 'Great review. Nominated'-never get the damn crown though. i think you have to really consistently do a good review under a category e.g. for me-games so when you are nominated loads-the dooyoo team recognises you lots of times and gives you a crown
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Apr 2006, 23:17

Quote :
Always see in my comments 'Great review. Nominated'-never get the damn crown though

Hoorah Josh, you finally got one! I am really pleased for you and glad they finally realised that you are a consistently good writer.

Well done mate x
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:22

Can all the guides on opinionators.co.uk nominate each others work Very Happy
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:26

Cerberus wrote:

Yes.

We can all drink through a straw too.

Your point being?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:54

Cerberus wrote:

Enough already. As I said in my PM to you (trying to keep this private although that obviously didn't work), this is not the place to have a dig at other forums.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 12:30

Cerberus wrote:

A guides nomination for another guide doesn't really count for much (infact less than a guide nom for a non guide member) unless it is also backed up by non guide noms.

The system is actually biased against the guides, the reason the guides do get more crowns than your average member is because the guides are picked from the writers who tend to get a lot of crowns presumably because they write good reviews! Why can't you understand this?

Are you fik or sommit?
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 14:11

After last night getting a crown nomination from me is easy. Give me a Champions League Final ticket and you are set for life. I will also throw in sexual favours if required up to the value of £900 as that appears to be the going price on the net for a pair of tickets at the moment. By the way I think I'm still drunk drunken
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 14:13

In no way does the last post reflect the views of the guides Wink
Back to top Go down
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 15:25

atticusuk wrote:
After last night getting a crown nomination from me is easy. Give me a Champions League Final ticket and you are set for life. I will also throw in sexual favours if required up to the value of £900 as that appears to be the going price on the net for a pair of tickets at the moment. By the way I think I'm still drunk drunken

Does it have to be this years Champions League final?
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:20

2The system is actually biased against the guides"

Thats what I like..
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:24

Is this another conspiracy theory ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:58

tractor-boy wrote:

Does it have to be this years Champions League final?

Definately.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 00:27

15% of the crowns going to the guides is about right. Lets keep it that way.That ratio has clearly helped to encourage new members,and some old,back on to dooyoo.

Last edited by on Thu 27 Apr 2006, 20:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 10:04

Cerberus wrote:
150% of the crowns going to the guides is about right. Lets keep it that way.That ratio has clearly helped to encourage new members,and some old,back on to dooyoo.

I'm guessing Maths was not a strong subject for you at school. study geek No
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 11:19

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Is this another conspiracy theory ?

For once this is for real....

For a member to get considered by DOOYOO for a crown they need to get nominations from the guides OR other members.

For a guide to get considered by DOOYOO for a crown they need to get nominations from other members AS WELL AS/INSTEAD of Guides.

So it is slighly harder. The system as far as I know was introduced by Sebastian a couple of years ago and this might explain why the number of crowns awarded to guides has reduced a little over that period.

The system used IS biased against the guides but I think that's fair enough in order to respond to accusations of guides simply nominating each other for crowns.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 11:28

I think also, to be fair, that (particularly once the guide page is updated) that the guides are (arguably) very/more visible members, and so may receive proportionatly more nominations. Also, since the guides communicate with each other, are likely to read each other (no cartel conspiracy - it's the same as members of this forum tending to read other members of the forum because they've become friends, and are recognisable names) Therefore, the bias against guide crowns perhaps helps to 'level the playing field' and avoid accusations of bias for.

It's like when a kid has his own mother as a teacher - often the mum will be toughest on her own. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 11:59

mattygroves wrote:
I think also, to be fair, that (particularly once the guide page is updated) that the guides are (arguably) very/more visible members, and so may receive proportionatly more nominations. Also, since the guides communicate with each other, are likely to read each other (no cartel conspiracy - it's the same as members of this forum tending to read other members of the forum because they've become friends, and are recognisable names) Therefore, the bias against guide crowns perhaps helps to 'level the playing field' and avoid accusations of bias for.

It's like when a kid has his own mother as a teacher - often the mum will be toughest on her own. Wink

Yes to an extent although the number of nominations shouldn't make a real difference. I think there is a minimum number of non-guide nominations needed for a review to be considered (is it 3?) but after that I don't think it matters all reviews getting at least 3 noms. will be considered on an equal basis...or is this wrong?

But I agree a little bias against the guides in this case is a good thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:33

Did anybody spot the Freudian slip.It was in fact 1500% Surprised 15% is about right.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 15:25

I have only 1 aren't complaining-i agree that you must me enthusiastic about the subject because i was about mine and got a crown
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 15:27

atticusuk wrote:
In no way does the last post reflect the views of the guides Wink

No..I hate football...a case of shiraz will go a long way though...
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 18:47

steerpyke wrote:
.a case of shiraz will go a long way though...

I understand they now have a cure for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 19:38

trust you, I've got to be so bloody careful what I write....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 May 2006, 19:39

steerpyke wrote:
trust you, I've got to be so bloody careful what I write....

Now do not spoil it for me, It is like when someone writes a VU review, it hurts to have to rate it as such. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you have to do to get a crown?   What do you have to do to get a crown? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you have to do to get a crown?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next