www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY

Go down 
+23
Silverblue
Helix
silver40
tractor-boy
marandina
garleon
lisa2062
Tom_Clare
berlioz
krazykat2005
spoilt_little_brat
drewboy
AimeeLouise18
mattygroves
WendyBull
Mauri
Louise90
Angus
Jill Murphy
Aussieme
dididave
fabulous_girl
Thingywhatsit
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY Empty
PostSubject: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyThu 13 Apr 2006, 23:15

I opened this thread so that if members have read something particularly good, they can tell members about it in its own thread. Also it occurred to me that some members may have books that they want to swap. If you have, then place your books up for swaps in this section.

Please note that if you swap addresses with members, it is at your own risk and that the forum cannot be held responsible.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
fabulous_girl

fabulous_girl

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 14 Apr 2006, 18:39

What a good idea! I am reading the Pact by Jodi Piccoult and I am hooked- its fantastic! and a bit of a change from my usual level of chicklit ness!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fabulous_girl85
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 14 Apr 2006, 19:42

Tell us a bit about it. You may even tempt someone to try it out.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 14 Apr 2006, 20:24

Just finished Storm of Swords the third book in George R.R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. Epic fantasy novel with political intrigue and well rounded characters it is superb!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Aussieme

Aussieme

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptySat 15 Apr 2006, 16:37

Hey Dave, my friend at work is reading that series too, and I think he is just near the end of book 3 too...... What a bizzare coincidence !!

I am currently re-reading Lord Of The Rings, as I am having terrible insomnia at the moment........ It helps me relax enough to drift off to sleep......
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 13:24

Clay by David Almond.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 13:46

Shameless plug, but go to www.thebookbag.co.uk and there are some fantastic book reviews there and you will get some great ideas if you are undecided abput what to read next.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Louise90

Louise90

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2006-02-13

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyMon 17 Apr 2006, 22:46

I'm reading a book at the moment called A Brothers' Journey by Richard Pelzer. I've read Dave Pelzer's book. In the 70's, his case was the 3rd worst child abuse case in Californian history. Once Dave was taken by the authorities into care, his mother turned her abuse onto his brother, Richard. His harrowing story is heartbreaking and wonder how a mother can afflict such torment on her small children.

Louise
Back to top Go down
http://167421.aceboard.net
fabulous_girl

fabulous_girl

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyTue 18 Apr 2006, 02:55

I read all of david pelzers- heartbreaking but also inspiring- considering what he achieved...

The Pact- as mentioned earlier is about a couple of 17/18 yr olds, who have grown up together and have one of those idyllic relationships, then one day the girl is found dead by a gunshot wound to the head- with her boyf close by collapsed. he is automatically under suspicion, though he claims she kiled herself as part of a suicide pact. it really keeps u intertest as the books keeps going back in time and you find out why em killed herself, and the turth as to whether chris did it. Great stuff!

Da vinci code now- i am skeptical as its had soo much hype
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fabulous_girl85
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 17:20

The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gattis.

This is the first book about the disreputable Edwardian secret agent Lucifer Box. Written by Mark Gattis also known for The League of Gentlemen and more recently Dr Who. Much more fun than The Da Vinci Code!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:21

I have just started Cell by Stephen King. I love his writing and am only on chapter 5 so far but things have gone crazy already!

Enjoying it so far. x
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 10:39

WendyBull wrote:
I have just started Cell by Stephen King. I love his writing and am only on chapter 5 so far but things have gone crazy already!

Enjoying it so far. x

Not one of his best, IMHO - but not bad.

Have you read The Dark Tower series? That rocks!
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:01

mattygroves wrote:
WendyBull wrote:

Enjoying it so far. x

Stop understating it. It ROCKS!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 11:13

dididave wrote:
mattygroves wrote:
WendyBull wrote:

Enjoying it so far. x

I have read the first three but it was so long ago that I will have to start again I think, so I can remember what happens. I loved The Gunslinger though so I it will be enjoyable to start again.

Trouble is I have 2 young kids and 2 older kids so I rarely get time to sit and read - oh well, I will eventually.
x
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 13:28

WendyBull wrote:
dididave wrote:
mattygroves wrote:
WendyBull wrote:

Enjoying it so far. x

I have read the first three but it was so long ago that I will have to start again I think, so I can remember what happens. I loved The Gunslinger though so I it will be enjoyable to start again.

Trouble is I have 2 young kids and 2 older kids so I rarely get time to sit and read - oh well, I will eventually.
x

Me too, I read at bedtime its a good way to escape and relax.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 03 May 2006, 16:25

What did you think about Needful Things by Stephen King? That was another one I really loved and the film was watchable too.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 03 May 2006, 17:03

Good book, poor film. YOu can tell the film was made for TV, and it really lacked something despite some fine performances.

Don S Davis was Reverend Rose - he was General Hammond on Stargate SG-1.
Back to top Go down
AimeeLouise18

AimeeLouise18

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2006-03-09

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 10 May 2006, 07:29

I've just finished reading the undomestic goddess by sophie kinsella and I absolutely loved it.It's been a while since a book really grabbed my attetion and made me want to keep reading!

It's got plenty of humour in it, it's easy to read but the downside for many people will be the fact that it is a chick lit.

Aimee xxx
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 10 May 2006, 10:46

I have just finished reading Northern Lights by the esteemed and devout Mr Philip Pullman. I thought I would not like it because it was from the nice people who make the Point Horror books which smelled like my Mum's secret bin in the bathroom. But it was very good and had Daemons in it, but they were not skinny men with fake chest hair like in Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 10 May 2006, 16:55

Turtlewind wrote:
I have just finished reading Northern Lights by the esteemed and devout Mr Philip Pullman. I thought I would not like it because it was from the nice people who make the Point Horror books which smelled like my Mum's secret bin in the bathroom. But it was very good and had Daemons in it, but they were not skinny men with fake chest hair like in Doctor Who.

You post some very strange replies, I have to say. Not sure I want to know about your mum's secret bin!
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyWed 10 May 2006, 17:09

I didn't want to know either... and now I can't forget Sad

But Northern Lights is a most rollicking read and I would heartily recommend it to all you disciples of the Mysterious Mr Turtlewind, Esq.
Back to top Go down
Louise90

Louise90

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2006-02-13

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyMon 15 May 2006, 00:08

I've just started a book today - The DaVinci Code. Anyone NOT heard of this book?! I'm already on page 41. So far I'm enjoying it! I didn't think I would, but it's really interesting!

Anyone else read this book?
Back to top Go down
http://167421.aceboard.net
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyMon 15 May 2006, 00:36

Louise90 wrote:
I've just started a book today - The DaVinci Code. Anyone NOT heard of this book?! I'm already on page 41. So far I'm enjoying it! I didn't think I would, but it's really interesting!

Anyone else read this book?

Just try and remember it is fiction when reading it, I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to remind people of that....
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 18:23

You mean Jesus wasn't really a gay cowboy? Neutral

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY EmptyFri 19 May 2006, 18:32

Turtlewind wrote:
You mean Jesus wasn't really a gay cowboy? Neutral

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

HEY!

Thats cowaphobic dude!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY   HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY Empty

Back to top Go down

HAVE YOU READ A GOOD BOOK LATELY
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next