www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.

Go down 
+8
atticusuk
Angus
Jill Murphy
kelr101
helencbradshaw
spoilt_little_brat
Lunah_c
Thingywhatsit
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. Empty
PostSubject: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 09:28

The coroner who had been due to hold the inquests into the death of Diana, Princess of Wales and her lover Dodi Fayed has withdrawn from the case.

Michael Burgess, who is coroner of the Queen's Household as well as for Surrey, blamed his heavy workload for the decision.

A senior judge will now be appointed to examine the evidence into Diana's death in a car crash in Paris in 1997.

A spokeswoman said Mr Burgess wanted to pass on responsibility before former Metropolitan Police commissioner Lord Stevens' report into the fatal crash became available.

She said: "The cases will demand a good deal of time and a clear focus, free of distractions.

"Consequently, Mr Burgess has concluded that these two cases cannot properly be dealt with by a coroner who also has a heavy and constant workload of other cases with which to deal."

In May, Lord Stevens said fresh witnesses and forensic evidence had been gathered, having earlier indicated the inquiry into the death of Diana was far more complex than anyone thought.

He also revealed that Mohammed al Fayed - who claimed the Princess and his son had been killed by British intelligence services - had been "right" to raise some of his concerns about the 1997 crash.

But Lord Stevens did not specify which areas the Harrods boss had been correct to highlight.

The multi-million pound probe - codenamed Operation Paget - was ordered nearly two years ago by Mr Burgess, amid continuing conspiracy theories over the deaths.

Diana, 36, and Dodi, 42, were killed along with chauffeur Henri Paul when their Mercedes crashed in the Pont d'Alma tunnel on August 31, 1997.

They were pursued by paparazzi photographers after leaving the Ritz Hotel for Mr Fayed's apartment.

A two-year investigation in France blamed Paul for losing control of the car because he was high on drink and prescription drugs and driving too fast.

What are your thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 12:48

I doubt we will ever know the truth.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 13:18

I am in two minds about this.
I would like to know what went on, but like Lunah said, we never will. Like a million other things that go on- we only get told a political spin.

On the other hand I dont want to know.

If the royals are behind it (which I believe may be the case) than it will shatter the back bone of England (and I am not a fan of the royals and ok I am being over dramatic!!)

The woman has been dead now 11 years- let her rest in peace and lets move on.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 13:43

Good heavens, is it as long as that !! Thing is, I see it from the British point of view but also from the French one, and yes there are many question marks. I watched Spooks the other night, and sure it's a fiction program, but it brought home the possibility of British Intelligence involvement, and how even if they were involved, it could have been innocently. In that program for instance, there was supposed to be involvement of the secret services but in a "worst case scenario" exercise rather than bumping her off. The questions that stay a mystery to me are :

1) The Breton that was driving was shown on video to be perfectly sober, and I doubt that they would have let a pissed driver drive in the first place. Plus, Bretons are accustomed to alcohol, moreso than perhaps is good for them !

2) The cameras in the Alma Tunnel being conveniently switched off for the night.

3) The white car that was never traced.

4) The report that the hospital blood test proved pregnancy. The nurse that said this has apparently changed career since and could not be traced by Dodi's father. Coincidence perhaps.

Of course it is speculation. People want reasons and clarification, but at the end of the day, shit happens, whether by design or accident.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 14:59

It's less than nine years, not 11.

I don't generally go with conspiracy theories, but it is ridiculous that this issue is still dragging on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 15:05

August 31st, and I think it was 1998. I only remeber because we had stayed in a hotel overnight promising to take the kids to a safari the next day...their first holiday really.
We did go the next day but felt very bad about carrying on as normal. There was also a very eerie silence about.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 15:05

oops yes it is 9 this year- just me who cant count!!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 15:11

Lunah_c wrote:
August 31st, and I think it was 1998. I only remeber because we had stayed in a hotel overnight promising to take the kids to a safari the next day...their first holiday really.
We did go the next day but felt very bad about carrying on as normal. There was also a very eerie silence about.

It was day before hubby's birthday, and I seem to remember we had watched something very late on TV in the bedroom (and not switched it off..)
Back to top Go down
kelr101

kelr101

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 15:20

definitely 1997...
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 15:25

Oh yes, lol, didn't know what year my kids were born!
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 17:46

It was Bank Holiday 1997, because I was in hospital with a chest drain, having just been diagnosed with a relapse of Hodgkin's Disease. I had a small TV in my room and the bloody nurses woke me up at 5am so that they could watch it all unfold.

I thought it was as dull as ditchwater then and I still do now. I don't care how spoiled rich people live and die.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 18:09

Who cares anymore?

Let it rest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 11:46

I was playing hockey in a tournament in Holland consuming large quantities of the most excellent local product.

The whole thing just passed me by.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 15:04

Thingywhatsit wrote:
He also revealed that Mohammed al Fayed - who claimed the Princess and his son had been killed by British intelligence services - had been "right" to raise some of his concerns about the 1997 crash.

Conspiracy theories. I'm inclined to agree with Angus on this one.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 15:36

Guess what happened? The stupid driver forgot to turn the steering wheel. End.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 17:57

Changing the subject...as we often do in these threads. I saw a photo today of harry smoking his head off. you would have thought that with all the work his mum did for charities and seeing all the effects it can have on you he would have been somewhat more sensible.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 18:52

Lunah_c wrote:
Changing the subject...as we often do in these threads. I saw a photo today of harry smoking his head off. you would have thought that with all the work his mum did for charities and seeing all the effects it can have on you he would have been somewhat more sensible.

my parents always told me not to smoke, and guess what, I do. I really don't see the difference.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 18:56

drewboy wrote:
Lunah_c wrote:

my parents always told me not to smoke, and guess what, I do. I really don't see the difference.

Me too.

Gotta admit, I am not a fan of the Royals but I do like Harry for the pure reason that when he is not on 'duty' he seems so normal.

He is the same age as me and people my age are trying things like smoking, drugs, drink, sex etc- I don't think people have a right to put him down just for acting like someone his age should be.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 19:28

But when he has seen people suffering, and I mean really suffering, health wise that is, you'd think he would stop twice before going down that road.

And just because he is 'that age' doesn't mean he has to do what many others are doing.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 19:29

Mind you, don't think any of the royals in general set a good example. They are all guilty of something that was at one time unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 20:19

I always thought that she kept them well away from all the media so maybe a lot of those messages missed them?

Also, isnt one of their aunts a seriously heavy smoker who has already been seriously ill through it and STILL refused to give up?
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 21:27

One of my Aunties has cancer from smoking and I see her in some horrible states- but have I given up; no.

Although this is off topic, some people just dont react to the shock of seeing other people suffering.

As I said, seeing him do all these things makes him more human to me.

I would rather someone like him and William representing the royals then some old farts like the rest of them.

And I am sure that Diana would be pleased to see her boys enjoying life and not letting the media control them.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 23:09

Lunah_c wrote:
Mind you, don't think any of the royals in general set a good example. They are all guilty of something that was at one time unacceptable.

Most of the population drinks, smokes, or sleeps around. The lucky ones do all three. lol! The Royal Family are no different.....
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 23:14

drewboy wrote:
I always thought that she kept them well away from all the media so maybe a lot of those messages missed them?

Also, isnt one of their aunts a seriously heavy smoker who has already been seriously ill through it and STILL refused to give up?

If you mean Margaret I think she carked it a couple of years ago....!
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. EmptyTue 25 Jul 2006, 23:18

helencbradshaw wrote:

Most of the population drinks, smokes, or sleeps around.

Yes, haven't the standards slipped. Our Great Grandparents must be turning in their graves1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. Empty

Back to top Go down

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next