www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.

Go down 
+8
atticusuk
Angus
Jill Murphy
kelr101
helencbradshaw
spoilt_little_brat
Lunah_c
Thingywhatsit
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 18:45

I thought you had to be dead to be a saint.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 18:50

Really?

Roger Moore was the Saint and he is still alive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 20:08

Gotta say I do agree with Jill though.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 03:15

Lunah_c wrote:
A person would need extra help to solve that and it is not as though they could just say one day, OK, I will never wash my hands again.

Actually, that basically is the way to stop an OCD - doesn't matter, that's not the point though. I was arguing about the compulsion aspect.
Yeah - Jill put it a lot better than I did. Lunah, you talk about the fact that if people really are ashamed of doing something, then they will stop doing it - that's just not the case. That opinion, I'm afraid, looks at human nature in a very black and white manner.
The reality is that being 'ashamed' can be outweighed by many other factors - including an individual's enjoyment/satisfaction of whatever it they feel ashamed of.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 11:15

Black and White is the best way. Things are either right or wrong. Colourful means compromises and then all sorts of problems arise.

At the end of the day they (my posts in this thread)are just my thoughts. I'm not telling you to accept them, but I'm just saying. I cannot say you are wrong, so don't tell me I am.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 12:33

Lunah_c wrote:
Black and White is the best way. Things are either right or wrong. Colourful means compromises and then all sorts of problems arise.

Wow, that's so close minded. Things are either right or wrong? I honestly don't know what to say to that - It's an incredibly surprising point of view. And 'colourful means compromises'? - Good lord, would you rather live in a Big Brother environment then - law being based on the pretences of what is right and wrong, with no intermediates?
I could give an example to show that choices are rarely made on 'black and white' opinions... but then - every decision made is like that, isn't it?
I find it very difficult to believe that you only think in terms of 'right and wrong'.

Lunah_c wrote:
At the end of the day they (my posts in this thread)are just my thoughts. I'm not telling you to accept them, but I'm just saying. I cannot say you are wrong, so don't tell me I am.

Ah, so if you can't tell me I'm wrong... I must be right then! Beauty of 'black and white'. Or wait... was that a shade of grey, an intermediate? I think it was, Lunah.
But of course - this is your point of view and I do not think you are 'wrong'. I just disagree strongly.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 14:47

I can't tell you that you are wrong because everyone needs to decide for themselves.....stop being nitpicking!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 15:27

Lunah_c wrote:
I can't tell you that you are wrong because everyone needs to decide for themselves.....stop being nitpicking!

But....if everyone needs to decide for themselves, then there will be a range of opinions, not two, (or BLACK and WHITE), but lots of shades in between.....which contradicts the Black and White theory - no?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 15:32

I have to say I have a problem when it comes to eating. If I start eating, I find it very hard to stop, which is why I try to avoid eating until as late as possible in the day. I am ashamed of my eating problem (I wont call it a disorder as I think it is more of a habit I need to get out of) but it does not mean I can stop it just like that.

When I smoked I was ashamed but I did not stop smoking until one day I found enough strength to do it. So really you can be ashamed of smoking and still smoke. You can be ashamed of over eating but still over eat. I am more annoyed that my will power is not strong enough to tell my mind I do not need to eat as much as I do, but I will conqeur this and lose wieght again when I convince myself to do so.

What annoys me even more is people who judge me and say things like "You eating again?" and "Every time I see you, you are eating!" when all that does is make me feel ashamed and then I eat more. People telling people to stop smoking will just make them more determined to smoke and when you do feel ashamed of something you tend to turn to some kind of comfort to hide the fact, which is usually the thing you are ashamed of doing so it becomes a vicious circle and one that people who have no idea what is going through an individuals mind should not judge on.

I bet there is not a person here who has no skeletons and if a royal smoking is such a major thing in anyones life that they should be annoyed about it, I suggest they trun their attention closer to home and sort out their own closets before the skeleton becomes skeletons.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 15:42

I do not believe that being ashamed of something and being able to stop doing it go hand in hand. Nothing is as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 18:02

Wot Sam said 5 posts up.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 19:22

I love Angus.

Lunah - I wouldn't presume to tell you that your opinions are wrong. Definitely not. I don't agree with many of your opinions to be honest, but that's besides the point. And anyway, I rather admire the way you're so often out on a limb but are still prepared to argue your point.

However, if you're misusing a word, I will presume to tell you that your use of it is wrong. You're misusing the word "shame". Having shame or being ashamed does not imply action or inaction on the subject of the shame. It's simply a word to express an emotion.

Your opinions aren't wrong - whether I agree with them or not, but your use of the language is, and that's nothing to do with anyone's opinion.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptySun 30 Jul 2006, 19:26

On the subject of shame...

It's my personal observation that people who feel shame are less likely to STOP doing the thing that is making them feel the shame and MORE likely to do it in secret. Especially smoking and other addictions or compulsions, such as drug addiction, eating disorders and some forms of self-harm.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 11:10

Jill Murphy wrote:
On the subject of shame...

It's my personal observation that people who feel shame are less likely to STOP doing the thing that is making them feel the shame and MORE likely to do it in secret. Especially smoking and other addictions or compulsions, such as drug addiction, eating disorders and some forms of self-harm.

............and that is exactly what I said about 3 pages back. That someone who is ashmaed of their behaviour tends to do it in secret!

Case Closed!
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 15:25

I'll refer to my earlier OCD point and extend the example. Washing your hands in a restaraunt isn't just about washing them, it's about getting up, crossing the restaraunt for the fifth or sixth time, then entering the bathroom door.
Just like smoking isn't only the bit where you light up. You have to buy the cigarettes in public, have the cravings and smell fairly strongly of smoke afterwards... plenty of time to feel ashamed there too. In fact, I imagine this is where people who are ashamed of smoking are subject to the greatest quantity of shame. It doesn't really matter if you do it in secret or not -'committing the act' is only one half of the crime, if you see what I'm getting at.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 16:51

I think there's also a difference between embarassment and shame.

The OCD hand washing may cause the victim (if you'll excuse the word) and his friends or family embarassment. If, on the otherhand, his behaviour in some way hurts someone else (though I struggle to see how in this particular example) he may feel shame about his behaviour.

Another (real life example) - I am embarassed and upset that I spilled beer on my laptop yesterday. I am ashamed of my reaction (I fled the house, fearing I'd be yelled at - and I'm in my late 30s!).
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 16:56

mattygroves wrote:
may feel shame about his behaviour.

Another (real life example) - I am embarassed and upset that I spilled beer on my laptop yesterday. I am ashamed of my reaction (I fled the house, fearing I'd be yelled at - and I'm in my late 40s!).

Was it another Ciao meet then? Razz
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 17:01

mattygroves wrote:

Another (real life example) - I am embarassed and upset that I spilled beer on my laptop yesterday. I am ashamed of my reaction (I fled the house, fearing I'd be yelled at - and I'm in my late 50s!).

Hope it was not damaged. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 17:15

Yes, it's damaged. I won't know how badly until it fully dries up.

I want to weep.

Will you guys please stop aging me! Wink
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 18:07

get the house insurance policy out and check the terms Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 19:12

mattygroves wrote:
Yes, it's damaged. I won't know how badly until it fully dries up.

I want to weep.

Will you guys please stop aging me, I am 62! Wink
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 19:29

I feel 102
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 19:30

Poor Matty. Angus made me spill tea all over my keyboard yesterday ! Hope it dries out ok.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyMon 31 Jul 2006, 21:15

mattygroves wrote:
I feel 102

Did you get a telegram from the Queen?
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 EmptyTue 01 Aug 2006, 12:53

Computer, apparently, turned on this morning - fingers crossed (I feel younger now...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.   DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

DIANA AND DODI - years afterwards.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next