www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guides information

Go down 
+11
helencbradshaw
atticusuk
raehippychick
drewboy
Mauri
Cerberus
butters
steerpyke
Thingywhatsit
Angus
WendyBull
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

Guides information - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 21:32

Yes I have been listening.But there is ambiguity here,as ever with film.Ive emailed base for the rules to be changed and simplified.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 21:35

Why would anyone want to listen to you when you refuse to listen to the guides or Dooyoo themselves?

If I recieved your email I would not even open it Phil, just delete it.

That aint me being nasty but truthfull.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 21:59

Quote :
Yes I have been listening.But there is ambiguity here,as ever with film.Ive emailed base for the rules to be changed and simplified.

WHAT amibiguity? WHAT? What is it? Other than the fact that renaming VHS to film only is taking them ages, WHAT ambiguity? Tell me what it is!
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 22:26

>silence<

scratch
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 00:18

I know what your saying guys.If you review a dvd movie,dont see the extras,you can stick it in the vhs(film only) bit----fine.
Ok,ive just rented a film on dvd,the only format you can these days.Any extras on it may NOT be not listed on the back, but I didnt rent it for the extras I will admit--who does!!

But there are some on it but I dont want to watch them,and ive already asked dooyoo to post up the dvd slot.My point is:anyone who wants to buy or rent a dvd of that movie may,as a consumer, want to know whats actually on it,so to make the choice of buying or renting...I mean you guys would expect me to list all the extras on ,say,MI4,even if I didnt watch them.Someone needs to list the extras in some way on dooyoo.I just feel thats the point of the site.Im arguing the logic of the rules and how they dont work in some aspects.You guys seem to be just arguing your interpretation because its the Rules,when those rules dont work.

I just dont think one should be penalised for listing the dvd extras...I feel im providing the consumer with infomation and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 00:20

George, can we have wabbits and feed them alf-alfa?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 09:49

Quote :
ive already asked dooyoo to post up the dvd slot.

Then buy the DVD or put it in VHS. Stop being nitpicky
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 11:29

Cerberus wrote:
I know what your saying guys.If you review a dvd movie,dont see the extras,you can stick it in the vhs(film only) bit----fine.
Ok,ive just rented a film on dvd,the only format you can these days.Any extras on it may NOT be not listed on the back, but I didnt rent it for the extras I will admit--who does!!

But there are some on it but I dont want to watch them,and ive already asked dooyoo to post up the dvd slot.My point is:anyone who wants to buy or rent a dvd of that movie may,as a consumer, want to know whats actually on it,so to make the choice of buying or renting...I mean you guys would expect me to list all the extras on ,say,MI4,even if I didnt watch them.Someone needs to list the extras in some way on dooyoo.I just feel thats the point of the site.Im arguing the logic of the rules and how they dont work in some aspects.You guys seem to be just arguing your interpretation because its the Rules,when those rules dont work.

I just dont think one should be penalised for listing the dvd extras...I feel im providing the consumer with infomation and stuff.

Phil the choice is yours.

If you watch a rented DVD with few or no extras you write a review in the DVD section and you decide to list the extras but not give your opinion on them then fine, no problem BUT your review will be rated as SU by a lot of people.

If you wish to get better ratings then I would suggest you post your review in the Film only or VHS section. I would leave out the extras list in this case.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 23:27

<Puts on voice of that irritating woman from Friends.>

OH....MY...GAWD!

I got my friend Tom to read this forum and he's really thick. (He knows it and he does very well from it. It's kind of endearing.) He gets the point and understands where he would go to read film or DVD reviews on Dooyoo. (If he wasn't always doing something infinitely more interesting than reading film reviews on a web site. I know I wish i was right now.)

I'm therefore satisfied that the principle makes sense to Joe Average and don't, therefore, feel the need to keep explaining / debating it. The site ain't perfect - I had to explain to Tom that VHS meant Film Only, which he said was "a load of crap" but know he knows he knows and he's OK with that.

So I've concluded that until Dooyoo change the categories, it's fair to politely explain the situation to members and be helpful about getting things moved if necessary. It's also fair to have a consistent, clear rating policy that sticks to the rules laid down by the site support team.

I don't, however, feel inclined to explain / debate it with established members on the site who know damn well what's going on and just want to be awkward or lazy or belligerent or all three. It doesn't do the site any good and it takes up time that could be better spent in bed with Tom. (Yes Phil - he's a faggot too, so you can disregard his opinion now as well.)

Ergo, this is the last time I'm going to post on the subject because I'm boring myself, let alone everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 23:29

Good. Sleep well.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 23:32

and take your hat off first Laughing or maybe Tom likes it on!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptyFri 28 Apr 2006, 23:34

Actually Philplop you argued the other day and came to the conclusion that if a DVD does not have extras that it should be in the DVD section to tell DVD buyers that it does not have extras. (you and drew talking). However, it is the general consensus of opinion from other postings that DVDs without any DVD information and extras should stay in the VHS section. So what do you say on that ?
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 00:06

We will leave it to the new girl at dooyoo to decide.THE END.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 00:11

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Actually Philplop you argued the other day and came to the conclusion that if a DVD does not have extras that it should be in the DVD section to tell DVD buyers that it does not have extras. (you and drew talking). However, it is the general consensus of opinion from other postings that DVDs without any DVD information and extras should stay in the VHS section. So what do you say on that ?

That's a fair question.

If you're going to review the retail DVD it should be in the DVD category. The point that people are missing is that simply mentioning that the DVD has no extras is not necessarily Very Useful. EVERY DVD has special features - this is not the same thing as extras.

Here's some ideas about how a DVD review on a DVD with no extras could be very useful:

1 - A good consumer review might contain suggestions for improvement. If I bought a DVD with no extras, then I might be inclined to suggest what extras I would have liked to see on it. It might be that I noticed, for example, one obviously edited scene and I'd like to know more about that. Or I might not understand something, and therefore might have been interested to listen to the director's commentary to get an explanation.

2 - I might mention that although it has no extras, it is only £4.99 which is a fair price for the DVD. Similarly, I might also know that there are two versions and do a comparison of the two.

3 - I might mention (if it's an older film) that the film has been digitally remastered and benefits greatly from the transition to DVD.

4 - I might comment that the region 2 DVD has no extras but that the region 1 DVD does and that I would therefore expect an additional region 2 release, complete with the extras from the region 1 version.

etc etc

For me, I wouldn't recommend that anyone writes in the DVD section unless they're really into the DVD format. This isn't that big an issue when you've got the VHS / Film Only section to write in if you're NOT interested in the retail DVD format OR if you don't know enough about the retail DVD format to really review it properly.

See what I mean?
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 00:15

WendyBull wrote:
and take your hat off first Laughing or maybe Tom likes it on!!

Ha! I'd have his eye out on the brim! elephant
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 09:34

Cerberus wrote:
We will leave it to the new girl at dooyoo to decide.THE END.

Not quite phil, you never took any notice of the other girls or guys at Dooyoo unless they agreed with you so why will it be any different this time?

Just accept the fact that unless people say to you "Phil, you can post wherever you like and we will crown it!" you wont agree.

BTW, that will never happen. (The crowning of your reviews thing.)
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 11:51

Really.Wasnt it me [Serberus] who pointed out the 'discrepencies' in film rating last time, getting the system changed,and even worse.. Was it me that pointed out guides were getting crowned by other guides for posting their War of the Worlds 2004 review in the War of the Worlds [1953] slot. Laughing

We, the members,will get it right one day.Im sure im not the only one narked over this pedantic ruling.The pure weight of numbers will win out. If it doesnt then we will all just ask for VHS and not bother with the extras anymore.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 12:16

Cerberus wrote:
Really.Wasnt it me [Serberus] who pointed out the 'discrepencies' in film rating last time, getting the system changed,and even worse.. Was it me that pointed out guides were getting crowned by other guides for posting their War of the Worlds 2004 review in the War of the Worlds [1953] slot. Laughing

We, the members,will get it right one day.Im sure im not the only one narked over this pedantic ruling.The pure weight of numbers will win out. If it doesnt then we will all just ask for VHS and not bother with the extras anymore.

Cerberus = serberus?

Oh, right! I get it now, you are both people.

"We the members!"

Are you Sparticus?

Phil, nothing you have ever said or done has changed anything as you never back up any argument or point with fact.

Simple, like you.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 13:53

Seb did indeed take note at dooyoo and the guides crown ratio fell away big time...
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 13:57

Let's see if we can move forward without any slanging matches. Discuss topic please, and not personalities.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 13:59

Quote :
Seb did indeed take note at dooyoo and the guides crown ratio fell away big time...

I think that the crown ratio is something that is evolutive rather than Dooyoo making changes Phil. I honestly do. I personally am getting more crowned work these days, but hope its because I wrote a good review and not because I am a non guide. It really is to do with what reviews are produced rather than favouritism as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 14:11

The crown to guide ration fell as the long term guides quit guiding and also reviewing.

How many times have you been told this Phil?

How many times have you included me as a guide when I am not?

Your point has no structure, fact or evidence to back it up other than you whinging on because your work is usually not good enough to be crowned and you can not accept it.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 14:47

I went for ages on Dooyoo before I got a crown and I now have 6 which I am very proud of. Sad I know but it's the little things - you know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 14:48

WendyBull wrote:
I went for ages on Dooyoo before I got a crown and I now have 6 which I am very proud of. Sad I know but it's the little things - you know. Very Happy

Hopefully with the fairer guides now active the crowns will be more evenly spread.

I think a lot of crowns were giving to friends etc and sadly a couple of guides still active are dubious in their ways but I am hoping that the new guides will spot this and put an end to it.

Good luck at getting the next six soon.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 EmptySat 29 Apr 2006, 15:18

Angus wrote:
WendyBull wrote:

Hopefully with the fairer guides now active the crowns will be more evenly spread.

I think a lot of crowns were giving to friends etc and sadly a couple of guides still active are dubious in their ways but I am hoping that the new guides will spot this and put an end to it.

Good luck at getting the next six soon.

Well thank you very much - get nominating lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guides information
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next