www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guides information

Go down 
+11
helencbradshaw
atticusuk
raehippychick
drewboy
Mauri
Cerberus
butters
steerpyke
Thingywhatsit
Angus
WendyBull
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Guides information - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:52

Thingywhatsit wrote:
ooooooooooow I got told off. No No No

no, I just couldn't think of anything else to say!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:52

speechless ! I love a man who is speechless. Cuts out the need to communicate.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:55

bu.... wha..... huh......

mm, think I should get back to uni work...... affraid
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 22:15

Thingywhatsit wrote:
That belongs in the over 18 forum. Are you boasting or complaining from having chaffed knees ?

How rude! cyclops

You don't really suffer from chaffed knees if they don't struggle too much. lol!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 22:57

good. alien alien albino alien alien
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 23:44

well I am seeing a whole new side to you plipplop! I read a comment about whats's behind the cowboy once but this is even naughtier!

Anyway I only started this thread over frustration that I had been given conflicting information from yourself and the other guide and I also mentioned that it was a mistake and everything ahd been sorted out very nicely indeed.

It kind of sparked all this though!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:18

Ive been marked down for puttting dvd extras on a dvd review...
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:20

Cerberus wrote:
Ive been marked down for puttting dvd extras on a dvd review...

Have you? Which review?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 00:56

drewboy wrote:
Thingywhatsit wrote:

A month or two ago before it was explained to me I would have agreed as I find extras on a film a total bore but it seems there are people out there that buy on the strength of extras. I see the point you are making Drew, but if its only a review of the film, then it should be in the film only section as there is nothing you can say extra to the film detail that would add any value to the DVD section.

I disagree. Sorry if I have taken this slightly off topic without realising, however if a DVD has no extra's, it should be in the DVD section SAYING it has no extra's.

I fail to see why that is seemed OT. It is very much on topic to me. (not that I would ever search for that info, I find extra's rather tedious anyway)

If someone is looking to find out if a DVD has extra's or not, they are going to look for that info in the DVD section. Not the film/VHS section.

I agree. With Drew.

And I didnt make my earlier point to have a debate for having a debate's sake. I simply don't agree.

And rental DVDs have EXTRAS! So I don't understand that argument either .

(I don't buy my DVDs down the car boot sale on a Sunday either)

I just think when people rate people down for stating that a DVD doesn't have extras and post it in the DVD section, well that, in my world, is stark raving crazy. Films made 20 years ago, converted to DVD DON'T always have extras. That is valuable consumer information if you want to buy a DVD. It's not a lot of use sitting in the VHS section...(VHS: technology from the early 1980s... Shocked )

As I am next to hopeless at writing film reviews, I guess it doesn't effect me. I will continue to rate as I see fit, based on what I read, i.e. what is useful to me.

I haven't a clue what DVD transfer rate is, or any of that mallarkey (nor does my techie husband), and quite frankly, I don't even want to read it in a consumer review. In fact, as far as what is important TO ME, it's ranked lower than a cast list copied and pasted from IMDB. . In my simple mind, a DVD should be of a high quality. Full stop. I want to watch it for enjoyment' sake, not analyse it for technical appreciation.

So I DO understand that in Dooyooland people want DVD reviews with no extras in the VHS category (which might get named Film Only eventually, but has been called VHS since before Chr1st left Kilmarnock.... ) But I don't have to agree with it. However, I will put up and shut up. (and stick to Travel) or I might even write a crap film review and then post off topic just for the sake of it. lol!

I do however, think that this forum has MILES better emoticons than the other side. elephant affraid sunny farao flower bounce study queen

Last edited by on Wed 26 Apr 2006, 01:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:06

'PLOPS RULES'

1. You rented the DVD.
2. You didn't listen to the commentary.
3. You watched the film.
4. You reviewed the film.
5. You didn't review the extra (the commentary) or the DVD presentation.
6. You placed it in the DVD category

So if we rent a film,dont have time for the audio com,we shouldnt include it in the extras...

PLip,you gave me a 'useful' for not listening to the commentary I listed,which ever way you cut it.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:11

Cerberus wrote:
'PLOPS RULES'

1. You rented the DVD.
3. You watched the film.

So if we rent a film,dont have time for the audio com,we shouldnt include it in the extras...

PLip,you gave me a 'useful' for not listening to the commentary I listed,which ever way you cut it.

And in other news, I shall review chocolate bars I've not eaten, television programmes I've not watched and perfume I've never smelt.

I gave you a useful rating on a DVD review that failed to review the DVD. You reviewed the film. Mentioning there is a commentary and then telling us you never listened to it is hopelessly, utterly pointless and completely so not useful. You never mentioned ANYTHING else about the DVD.

To avoid fainting, keep repeating:

"You reviewed the film. You reviewed the film. You reviewed the film"

It's dog shit simple!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:13

Cerberus wrote:
'PLOPS RULES'

1. You rented the DVD.
3. You watched the film.

If you didn't listen to the commentary and said that in the review, then that would be useful. If you review a DVD, you really should be reviewing the extra's from the point of view of having experienced them.

If you had simply missed out the DVD extra's that you didn't watch/listen and placed the review in the film only section, a VU rating could have been more likely to have been given (although I havent read the review so cannot comment on whether this would in fact be the correct rating).
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:13

sorrrrrrry, posted at the same time as Phil (the other one!)
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:18

I rented a dvd that had one special feature:an audio com. Are you guys telling me that if the mood then takes me away from listening to the extra,after ive madea product suggestion for the dvd, I should then ask dooyoo to now post up the VHS slot,to cover both moods.This is insane!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:19

Cerberus wrote:
I rented a dvd that had one special feature:an audio com. Are you guys telling me that if the mood then takes me away from listening to the extra,after ive madea product suggestion for the dvd, I should then ask dooyoo to now post up the VHS slot,to cover both moods.This is insane!

yes! How is that insane? If you only talk about the film, it is by definition film only......
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:23

Plipplop sez...

"I gave you a useful rating on a DVD review that failed to review the DVD. You reviewed the film. Mentioning there is a commentary and then telling us you never listened to it is hopelessly, utterly pointless and completely so not useful. You never mentioned ANYTHING else about the DVD."

I think that says it all Drew.I hope your alliance with Plippy is not stricktly business .It certainly isnt logic.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:30

Cerberus wrote:
Plipplop sez...

"I gave you a useful rating on a DVD review that failed to review the DVD. You reviewed the film. Mentioning there is a commentary and then telling us you never listened to it is hopelessly, utterly pointless and completely so not useful. You never mentioned ANYTHING else about the DVD."

I think that says it all Drew.I hope your alliance with Plippy is not stricktly business .It certainly isnt logic.

Did you mod that last bit on your own? Kinda doesnt make sense now.... but hey!

And yeah, that DOES say it all. I can think of no other way to logically explain it.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:34

Cerberus wrote:
Plipplop sez...

there is some logic there though...that is very different...

it's like writing a hotel review, then saying, you only had a coffee and a sticky bun and didnt stay over...it might be useful if I only want a coffee and a sticky bun, but it's not ok if I want to know if the bedding is clean, and whether they can make decent eggs for breakfast.

the problem however is mainly the database structure on Dooyoo. How is anyone to know to post that in VHS, when they haven't watched a VHS in years, (and don't read these threads!)

Ciao clearly has the advantage here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:34

Quote :

Yes, if I was a complete moron and completely wrong I'd probably say something completely wanky like that to divert the matter too.

This is a pointless debate. It's like trying to explain to a cannibal that eating people isn't very nice when in fact you know he's really only picturing you in a pot with a nice chicken stock and a sprig of rosemary.

Phil - you must post whatever you want, wherever you want. I will continue to justify ratings to you via comments cos that's what guides are supposed to do. You will continue to challenge and debate everything because that's what complete morons do.

It is as it ever was.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 01:37

And for anyone reading that last post and getting confused, the original comment from Cerberus (before he quickly edited it) was that he hoped Drew's alliance with me was not strictly pink pound business. i.e. Drew only agrees with me because we're both gay or some such bobbins.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 08:43

Bloody limp wristed mafia. They're everywhere.

<goes orff wetting her pants>
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 10:34

(Phil/Cerebus, do us a favour and start your own forum)

My view:

Having two separate categories for films and dvds is silly. I think so because both types of review are legitimate, and often overlap - for example - I saw Serenity in the cinema, and reviewed it. I've since bought and watched the dvd, along with its extras. In an ideal world, I should be able to update the film review to inlcude the extras, but instead I'd have to write a new review of both the film and its extras. See what I mean?

BUT there are two sections for film and DVD reviews. So saying how I think the world/dooyoo should be in this case is tilting at windmills. Since there ARE two separate sections, I write film only in the film only/VHS section and DVD reviews - complete with extras - in the DVD section.

As Jill said, it's not rocket science. Now, if you want to advance the argument that the system should change (or not), fine - but there's no point complaining that you are 'marked down' when you break the (frankly clear) rules.

And if you rent a film, put the review in Film Only/VHS section. You're viewing the film in a similar fashion to how you would in the cinema - to see the film (only).

That's what I think.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 10:48

plipplop wrote:
And for anyone reading that last post and getting confused, the original comment from Cerberus (before he quickly edited it) was that he hoped Drew's alliance with me was not strictly pink pound business. i.e. Drew only agrees with me because we're both gay or some such bobbins.

Does that mean that if I agree with some of what you both say I'm bi-curious because there was this time at college.... scratch
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 12:24

When I read a DVD review I expect to read about the bonus features and the extras etc. If the DVD hasn't got any as is the case for the older films re-released on cheap DVD packages then a mention of this and a description of the quality of the DVD transfer with maybe a commnet on the menus and chapter selection would probably be OK as long as a good review of the film was also included.

If the DVD (as found in the shops) has extras then I expect those to be mentioned, if you write about a rented copy which hasn't got the extras then tough you're only going to get a SU from me even if the film review is excellent!

I personally would put a film only review even from a rented DVD in the VHS (film only section). It's not complicated it makes perfect sense!
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:15

So Mauri,you agree with me that dvd reviews should mention the extras,whether you make the most of them or not.The guides for the movie section seem to be saying I should not review extras ina dvd review if I dont use them,and so lump the review int the vhs block.I find that obsurd, say not mentioning a 'Bonus Track ' on the old LP`s. Its there and you need to know its there.

I mentioned the fact in my last but one dvd review;the films only extra was an audio com,which I didnt listen to,as most people dont--BUT I DID MENTION IT.Am I in the right?Im confused here.

Just scrap the VHS and DVD slot and have film only.We then just have to stipulate the format in the title.Simplicity destroys anal rules.Whoops!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guides information
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next