www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guides information

Go down 
+11
helencbradshaw
atticusuk
raehippychick
drewboy
Mauri
Cerberus
butters
steerpyke
Thingywhatsit
Angus
WendyBull
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Guides information - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 20:11

Yeh, but that happens. Just life I guess.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 20:30

Mauri wrote:
Cerberus wrote:
Right old malarky with the odd couple running the movies Surprised There are so many variations on that theme I think it may come to handbags..

I thought that Sebastian had cleared that up for the guides at least. If a review is posted in the DVD section it MUST contain something relating to the DVD package, bonuses, extras, menu features etc. or else however brilliant and useful the film review is it should be rated SU.

If the review is film only then it should be posted in the VHS section.

There was discretion used to rate a review of a film on DVD which included few or no extras. I don't think it's enough to say "the version I watched (rented) had no extras" if you watched a rented version than I think you should post in the VHS section, since the site is primarily talking about advice on product purchase then a dvd review should be reviewing what is commonly available in the shops, if a DVD in any form has no extra features then fair enough.

Why? are rented copies different? Scuse my ignorance, but I have rented loads of DVDs with extras.

If there are no DVD extras therefore, and it is a DVD, I would put that in the DVD category too...(well I would if I could be bothered writing a review on a DVD in the first place!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 20:48

I think that if you rent a copy Helen that has no extras, listing it in the DVD section is actually misleading because the copy that the public would buy would have extras, so therefore we were told to put them in film only or VHS section which will soon be called FILM ONLY
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 20:55

Quote :
Why? are rented copies different? Scuse my ignorance, but I have rented loads of DVDs with extras.

If there are no DVD extras therefore, and it is a DVD, I would put that in the DVD category too...(well I would if I could be bothered writing a review on a DVD in the first place!)

Yes, it all gets silly, doesn't it? Basically, if you are reviewing the film, put it in the VHS section. If you are reviewing the film PLUS you intend to talk about the quality of the DVD transfer and the extras contained in the DVD, put it in the DVD category.

I can't honestly see why this creates so much fuss and confusion. Write your review and look at what you've said. If everything you've said applies equally whether you watched the DVD, the video or went to see the film at the cinema, put it in the VHS section. If parts of what you've said refer to the features and/or the quality of the DVD specifically, put it in the DVD section.

It really isn't rocket science!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:14

I think the sooner the categories are renamed the better, maybe it will make things easier to abide by. It is an easy rule but weith the rental DVD thing I am sure there are people out there thinking of renting a DVD and look up in that category to read reviews.

Still it does make more sense to do FILM ONLY category instead of VHS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:33

[quote="Jill Murphy"]
Quote :

It really isn't rocket science!

Ain't that the truth!

I don't see what the issue is.

I don't believe that any person considering renting a film is interested in extras. Anyone that says otherwise is lying (sorry).

Think about it.

If they WERE interested in the extras, then why would they rent? The sort of people interested in extras (film nerds) would know that rental DVDs seldom contain many of the extras of the retail version. As such, they would come to the DVD category expecting to read about the retail DVD. If you posted info on the rental DVD, you'd therefore be unhelpful of misleading.

If they WEREN'T interested in the extras, then it's the film review that they'd be after. As such, why post anywhere other than the VHS category - particularly when then only thing you're likely to say about the extras is "there aren't any".

I know that the DVD / VHS labelling on Dooyoo is not the best but regular members know exactly what's what and with the speed of new product proposals on the site, there's no excuse for putting in the wrong place.

If you ask me, this debate is perpetrated for the sake of being "bloody awkward" - nothing else.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:34

And gosh darn it (as Jill would say) the stupidity of the whole thing has made me join another poxy forum! elephant

That being said, if I can use an elephant icon, it's not all bad.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:35

Ha !! you can even have an elephant avatar if you want one Phil. By all means feel free to start a thread on helping members with their film review questions. elephant
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:35

plipplip wrote:
If they WEREN'T interested in the extras, then it's the film review that they'd be after. As such, why post anywhere other than the VHS category - particularly when then only thing you're likely to say about the extras is "there aren't any".

This is where I don't agree. If the DVD on sale in retail outlets doesn't have extra's, I for one think it should go in the DVD section and SAY that.

That would be the most helpful/useful place for it in my book.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:36

Gah!

No no no no no no! And thrice no!

I mean if they weren't interested in the extras on a RENTAL DVD - not the retail one.

elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:38

plipplop wrote:
Gah!

No no no no no no! And thrice no!

I mean if they weren't interested in the extras on a RENTAL DVD - not the retail one.

elephant elephant elephant

I was just saying........... [insert elephant shooting icon here]

(and shouldn't that be seventhrice no?!)
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:39

elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:41

Rachel - if I am to continue here, then I insist on having exclusive rights ti that icon that resembles a willy hanging out of someone's trousers. Put yours away at once.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:42

OOOOOOoow never even thought of that. Shows how naive I am. Okay. You have the elephant. I shall find something more suited to my feminine stance. sunny queen queen queen queen
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:42

Thingywhatsit wrote:

A month or two ago before it was explained to me I would have agreed as I find extras on a film a total bore but it seems there are people out there that buy on the strength of extras. I see the point you are making Drew, but if its only a review of the film, then it should be in the film only section as there is nothing you can say extra to the film detail that would add any value to the DVD section.

I disagree. Sorry if I have taken this slightly off topic without realising, however if a DVD has no extra's, it should be in the DVD section SAYING it has no extra's.

I fail to see why that is seemed OT. It is very much on topic to me. (not that I would ever search for that info, I find extra's rather tedious anyway)

If someone is looking to find out if a DVD has extra's or not, they are going to look for that info in the DVD section. Not the film/VHS section.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:44

But if someone were looking for a film only review, this would be the ideal place to put it, and to put that it is a film only review because unfortunately the DVD offers nothing in the way of extras whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:45

drewboy wrote:

I disagree. Sorry if I have taken this slightly off topic without realising, however if a DVD has no extra's, it should be in the DVD section SAYING it has no extra's.

I fail to see why that is seemed OT. It is very much on topic to me. (not that I would ever search for that info, I find extra's rather tedious anyway)

If someone is looking to find out if a DVD has extra's or not, they are going to look for that info in the DVD section. Not the film/VHS section.

We agree!

The issue is that this is fine if you are talking about the retail DVD but not the rental one which is normally free from extras to encourage people to buy the retail one.

elephant affraid elephant affraid elephant affraid
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:46

affraid affraid

Yours is the elephant not the scared face !
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:47

Thingywhatsit wrote:
affraid affraid

Yours is the elephant not the scared face !

The scared face is Drew's when I get my elephant out.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:47

I ran a mile too, don't like snakes. affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:49

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I ran a mile too, don't like snakes. affraid affraid affraid

Especially such large ones.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:49

plipplop wrote:

The scared face is Drew's when I get my elephant out.

***self modded to take out the seriously smutty comment I really wanted to type here*** Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:50

That belongs in the over 18 forum. Are you boasting or complaining from having chaffed knees ?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:50

Thingywhatsit wrote:
That belongs in the over 18 forum. Are you boasting or complaining from having chaffed knees ?

RACHEL!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Apr 2006, 21:51

ooooooooooow I got told off. No No No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guides information
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next