www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guides information

Go down 
+11
helencbradshaw
atticusuk
raehippychick
drewboy
Mauri
Cerberus
butters
steerpyke
Thingywhatsit
Angus
WendyBull
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Guides information - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:27

As far as I can see Serb, if a dvd has extras that were not reviewed (no matter how pedantry we found them to be) it should go in the VHS slot. I got downgraded on one of mine, but knew when I pressed that send button that I had made the mistake of putting it in the DVD section. My mistake. I hate extras, but agree with the ruling that if you do not review the extras, then it should be in the FILM ONLY section (which is what VHS will soon be called).
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:41

Ive had a whole year of stick for not doing comprehensive extras comment and now im being penalised for doing just that! What the fluck is going on.We need some leadership here!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:44

Ah bring on the soldiers !!! you said yourself that the extras report you did didn't actually say much about the extras, which you found too banale to describe, therefore putting your review in film only mode like mine.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 20:47

We are supposed to be informing the punter about the product.If we dont mention the dvd extras because we didnt use them then where are we? And by putting the review into the now DEFUNCT VHS format we are now going backwards...
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:02

Cerberus wrote:
We are supposed to be informing the punter about the product.If we dont mention the dvd extras because we didnt use them then where are we? And by putting the review into the now DEFUNCT VHS format we are now going backwards...

because you didn't USE the extra's! How can you review something you havent USED properly?

Say you bought a computer system that inclued a CPU, a monitor, a USB keyboard & mouse, a printer and a scanner.

You bought a SYSTEM and it is listed as such on dooyoo. If all you reviewed was the actual base unit and monitor, THAT would be U as you didn't cover the WHOLE PACKAGE. All you said was that it had them.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:13

Quote :

Because you're writing an OPINION, you utter dingbat! How can you have an OPINION on something you haven't used! Would I be Very Useful if I wrote a review on Disneyland, listing its 'features' and then saying, 'but I've never been there'?! Get a grip.

Let's try it in Very Simple English.

Scenario A: You watch a film on DVD. Thus, you have an opinion about the film.

Scenario B: You watch a film at the cinema. Thus, you have an opinion about the film.

Scenario C: You watch a film on VHS. Thus, you have an opinion about the film.

Scenario D: You watch a film on DVD and don't watch the extras. Thus, you have an opinion about the film. Thus, you don't have an opinion about the extras.

Scenario E: You watch a film on DVD and it doesn't have any extras. Thus, you have an opinion about the film. Thus, you don't have an opinion about the [non-existent] extras.

Scenario F: You watch a film on DVD and you watch the extras. Thus, you have an opinion about the film. Thus, you have an opinion about the extras.

For Scenarios A, B, C, D and E: post your review in the VHS category

For Scenario F: post your review in the DVD category.

Do-you-get-it-now?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:16

Sorry to be picky Jill, but I would put senario E in DVD as the consumer should know that it doesnt have any extra's.

Apart from that, complete agreement! Are you sure you aint gay too? Wink(and dingbat is such an underused word these days.....)
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 21:25

Nope. E goes in with VHS unless you have a lot of geek information about the quality of the transfer, or equally geeky gossip about the possibility of a more geeky DVD edition being on the cards or other geeky points of information that are of interest to other DVD geeks. Nobody, but nobody nobody nobody needs a consumer site review to tell them there are no extras on a DVD. The world may be full of people as dopey as Phil, but they're not THAT dopey. Anyone can see there's no extras on a DVD by looking at the jacket in the shop, just as anyone can see what the extras are by looking at the jacket in the shop and Phil thinking listing them at the end of his review counts as an opinion, even though he hasn't bloody watched them, the idiot! And just as nobody needs to tell anybody that a Mars Bar is six inches long or the font on the Walkers Crisp packet is Arial Bold.

And ha!

Jill Murphy = fag and hag. Guffaw.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyWed 26 Apr 2006, 23:31

drewboy wrote:
Sorry to be picky Jill, but I would put senario E in DVD as the consumer should know that it doesnt have any extra's.

I agree. Again.

as to other comments on the thread:

I put my Rented (with Extras) DVD in my DVD player, watch them on my expensive HD readyTV and don't have a clue about DVD transfer whatevers...why do DVD reviews, therefore, have to be automatically geeky? It's not exactly bleeding edge technology...I want to know if the movie is worth watching, and are the extras worth watching. DVD watchers are ordinary people. Even my parents have a DVD player.

It is not "Common Sense" that DVDs with no extras go in VHS (AS VHS means a great big tape thingie). Common sense to me therefore means something very different.

It might be obvious to people who debate it to death or who have read these threads and dont want poor rates. Otherwise a VHS is nothing like a DVD, in shape size, format, nothing!!! And how on earth do the common member know that one day Dooyoo might do a Ciao and make their VHS category FILM only...? It's not obvious to me, i know that!!!!! And if i go to the cinema, why is that VHS! It is FILM pure and simple.

Making comments about menus and chapters is like writing about the table of contents in a book ....?

As I said earlier, it is the system that is as fault. Dooyoo should fix the damn system. Then if people dont want to watch the extras , then it is logically film only. Otherwise, if i were a new member, and i watch a featureless DVD, I would post it in DVD. as it WAS a DVD I had in my hand.....not a VHS....that's how my simple brain works, anyway..

you can read the member page back to 2004, and there is not a mention, so it is hardly the Reviewers fault for not logically thinking that a cheap or old DVD should actually be in "VHS" ( which means a TAPE to the average person), as it doesnt happen to have extras...

That said, I don't condone consistently posting in the wrong place as a strategy, once it has been pointed out...the survival instinct in me says just post it in the damn VHS category, anything for a quiet life, .......... and run.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 00:21

Im sorry guys but if you are reviewing a product the customer needs to know ALL about the bits in the computer...to use your analogy. If I go to PC World and they dont let me check it has a hard-drive then im off...

If I rent, or buy a DVD, I want to know whats in it to justify my expense. If components are left out because the reviewer didnt press the buttons(think women and VCR`s) then its not complete.Its pointless.Yes we rent to see the movie but some buy for the extras.

If I rent or buy a DVD its going in that catergory,full stop.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 08:58

Really I don't see what exactly is so difficult about this whole DVD/VHS/Film Only thing.

I you only talk of the film without regarding the DVD, then its a film only review and should go to VHS.

If you talk about the DVD then it should be in DVD.

For DVDs that don't have extras or really have only a trailer or something, then there are two things in my perception that would still make it a DVD review:

1. Picture quality. Any ass can see whether the quality is crap, grainy, or crystal clear. Whether it is over-coloured or bland, or whether colours distinctly fluctuate all over the place. E.g. the first season of Mad About You stuffed some 20+ half-hour episodes on 2 DVDs = everybody can see the picture quality is terrible and should be mentioned.

2. Sound quality. Any ass can hear even on an ordinary sound system whether the sound is muffled, inaudible, crystal clear or blasts one or some element over the others (music over dialogue, sound effects over everything else). It doesn't take much, and if you do it like me and lump stuff about the music in there too, then so much the better. Again it doesn't require much technical understanding.

It's also good to mention that there are little if no extras, but you can also mention there are other editions available that do contain extras.

If you talk about the DVD then it's a DVD review, if you don't (and I don't give a crap if it is rented, stolen, or ripped from TV) it's a VHS/Film Only review. It's easy and I'm really tired of reading people not getting that.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 10:27

Just to slightly confuse matters though, I'd allow one (sort of) exception to all of the above:
Vanilla releases of (usually) television shows that later get released as a box set. As in:

"The BBC release Doctor Who in vanilla releases initially, followed by the full (and much more expensive) box set around Christmas time. Because I'm a fan, I cannot wait for the box set, so I've started buying the vanilla releases. The first of these this year, containing The Christmas Invasion and New Earth sadly is missing the Children in Need short, but otherwise, provides this fan with the fix she needs until the inevitable repeats (and box set release). "

Now, were I actually writing this review (and, in fact, I don't buy the vanilla releases - I wait for the box set), I'd probably mention something about the picture and sound quality, and perhaps briefly the packaging.

Point here is that a show like Doctor Who is currently on telly, and so I'd be reviewing the DVD, not the broadcast show. However, (going back to the main point) I would make it a point to mention the dvd itself, so far as it goes. After all, assuming I liked it, I'd want to give a good reason to buy the vanillas despite the lack of extras.

That's my ramblings!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 11:01

berlioz wrote:
Really I don't see what exactly is so difficult about this whole DVD/VHS/Film Only thing......

I If you talk about the DVD then it's a DVD review, if you don't (and I don't give a crap if it is rented, stolen, or ripped from TV) it's a VHS/Film Only review. It's easy and I'm really tired of reading people not getting that.

I get it. I always got it. I am tired of those that say "it's common sense" , "it's not difficult" etc, etc don't acknowledge that there might be a lot of logical reasoning as to why people DON'T Get it.

I do understand why people don't get it (I explained it at length above) , and they have my every sympathy. That's common sense to me, so why don't others get THAT?

Are people thick? Are they deliberately awkward (maybe), or is it poor design, that makes them behave the way they do. It's the latter here, for sure, it's been acknowledged on this thread before, so people questioning it should be cut a little slack.

After all, there is NO logic to writing about a DVD a person watched, with no extras, and putting that in VHS? Ask a five year old. THere IS a reason for it on Dooyoo however, because their database is poor in this area. I, for the record, GET that. I don't however agree with it.

Anyway off to work, no doubt to field 50 calls and discuss more procedures and practices with Managers who are usually quick to blame the poor workers for their incompetence - when the reality is the inadequate working systems are the root cause. Such is life.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 11:09

Cerberus wrote:
So Mauri,you agree with me that dvd reviews should mention the extras,whether you make the most of them or not.The guides for the movie section seem to be saying I should not review extras ina dvd review if I dont use them,and so lump the review int the vhs block.I find that obsurd, say not mentioning a 'Bonus Track ' on the old LP`s. Its there and you need to know its there.

I mentioned the fact in my last but one dvd review;the films only extra was an audio com,which I didnt listen to,as most people dont--BUT I DID MENTION IT.Am I in the right?Im confused here.

Just scrap the VHS and DVD slot and have film only.We then just have to stipulate the format in the title.Simplicity destroys anal rules.Whoops!

I think you are in the right in this case...

You reviewed the film that you watched on DVD, you mentioned that there were extras but you didn't watch them...fair enough this is your choice, the review SHOULD be included in the DVD category BUT it would get a low rating from me since I would expect a DVD review to include more info about the extras if the DVD included extras.

If you had done a straight film review from your DVD but NOT mentioned the extras at all then you should post it in the Film Only/VHS section.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 12:29

helencbradshaw wrote:
After all, there is NO logic to writing about a DVD a person watched, with no extras, and putting that in VHS?

And as has been said some 50 times before here, in the old FOIB and over at Opinionators that the VHS category will be renamed Film Only or something like that in the future. Whether finding that little piece of writing will take another year or two is another thing (I don't know anything about web design or how Dooyoo runs their business), so I suppose this problem won't be going away before that happens. Meh. So be it. I really don't see why I even care. Neutral (not that I actually do Wink
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 12:58

I think they should just have one section and you state at the top of the review somehow what you are writing about
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 13:17

WendyBull wrote:
I think they should just have one section and you state at the top of the review somehow what you are writing about

No, unless there is a way of listing all the reviews into film only or DVD so that a rreader can easily acess which type of review they want. Otherwise two sections film only or DVD is the best option.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:21

A film only catergory is the answer.The reviewer wants to see a particular film, he or she goes there.They can look at the dvd extras if they want to.Then we would need only ONE guide.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:24

Quote :
They can look at the dvd extras if they want to

But in a film only category Phil, the dvd extras would not be listed !
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:27

berlioz wrote:
helencbradshaw wrote:
After all, there is NO logic to writing about a DVD a person watched, with no extras, and putting that in VHS?

And as has been said some 50 times before here, in the old FOIB and over at Opinionators that the VHS category will be renamed Film Only or something like that in the future. Whether finding that little piece of writing will take another year or two is another thing

It would be a whole lot easier if Dooyoo had informed their own membership..not relying on these forums, which are not compulsory, not endorsed by Dooyoo, and not read by all!
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:29

Lump all variants into the one slot,like you do with music..MP3,vinyl,casett,CD,ect..Imagine reviewing a box of 'choccies' and not including the Cracknell or the Nutcluster because you didnt eat or like them. People need to know how yukky they are silent
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:33

then how come you don't review extras ? They are the nutty ones.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 20:36

[Throws arms up in the air] then selects a Caramel Cream before she can gobble them up.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 21:26

Quote :
A film only catergory is the answer.The reviewer wants to see a particular film, he or she goes there.They can look at the dvd extras if they want to.Then we would need only ONE guide.

For crissakes! Haven't you been reading a WORD anyone's said?! The VHS category ISN'T a VHS category, it's a FILM ONLY category. Dooyoo just haven't got around to renaming it yet. We are all supposed to be treating the VHS category as a FILM ONLY category.

If you were my child, I'd make you sit on the bloody naughty stair!
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 EmptyThu 27 Apr 2006, 21:30

If he was my child, I would be building a new patio with deep foundations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guides information   Guides information - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guides information
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next